Xmas is all about fruit soaked in booze and this decadent dessert is guaranteed to impress. The tartness of the cherries marry beautifully with the fruity xmas pudding and the chocolate takes it to a whole new indulgent level. Drizzle the sauce over the strudel to create an impact, and serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I will be making this today for our family Christmas eve celebration.
This is also the last post I’m doing this year. Its been about 4 years since I had a proper vacation and I almost reached a frazzled burnt-out stage a while back. I’m in dire need of one. I’m hoping a couple of weeks off will recharge my batteries and get me geared up for 2014. There is so much that I want to do next year. So many recipes I want to do and so many more pictures I want to take.
Thank you for reading my blog and being a part of Drizzle and Dip, I know you are out there. Thanks for the comments (those that do), it makes it so much more real and always a delight for me to ‘meet’ you. What a fabulous 4 year journey it has been for me.
To all that celebrate Christmas I hope you have a very merry one, and to those who don’t, happy holidays and New Year. I look forward to catching you on the flip side.
Love Sam x
Recipe – serves 6-8
- 350g frozen cherries (about 2 ½ cups)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brandy
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 50g butter melted
- 400-450g xmas pudding
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 80g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Icing sugar to dust
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Put the sugar, cherries and brandy in a small pot and heat slowly, then let this simmer for about 5 minutes. Scoop out the cherries with a slotted spoon and set aside. Continue cooking the sauce for a further 5 minutes and until it starts thickening to a syrupy consistency.
- Mix the Xmas pudding and grated apple in a bowl until well combined.
- On a clean surface, lay a sheet of phyllo down and brush the entire surface lightly with melted butter. Top with another sheet and repeat until you have 4 layers of phyllo (it is not necessary to butter the top layer).
- Make another separate stack of 4 sheets of phyllo, buttered in between each sheet and set aside
- Spread the pudding / apple mixture across the surface of the pastry allowing a rim around all sides.
- Spread the drained cherries evenly over the xmas pudding.
- Place the chopped chocolate along the longer length of the phyllo and roll it all up, tucking in the edges as you go. The chocolate will be in the middle of the strudel.
- Once rolled, join the edges, ensuring these are buttered to make them stick.
- Roll this log in the second stack of pyllo pastry, tucking as you go, and ensuring that the joined edge is at the underside of the strudel.
- Place the strudel on a baking sheet lined with paper, brush the tops and sides with melted butter and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with the warm cherry sauce on the side. Drizzle a bit over the top fro decoration.
This recipe was first published in Crush online magazine edition 36. A fantastic free food magazine.