I really love vegetables fritters and this recipe with corn, basil and chilli hit the spot for me. I kept the corn kernels whole, and don’t mind them breaking apart slightly for the benefit of the crunch they deliver. If you prefer them more solid, I would suggest blending half the batter with a stick blender to achieve this.
Basil and corn are good friends and chilli adds a dash of spice. The lemon juice gives them a lift, but they are really fabulous with a dipping sauce. I quite like a sweet chilli or Asian soy-based dipping sauce here. I was a little lazy and used a delicious store-bought spring roll dipping sauce to which I added extra sweet chilli sauce and a splash of soy. Sometimes one just has to roll with the convenience products.
I think these would be lovely for brunch. They are quick and easy to whip up. I used 4 fresh corn on the cob, but frozen would be just as nice.
corn fritters with basil and chilliPrint Recipe
- 2 cups of corn fresh or frozen
- 80 g 3/4 cup finely sliced spring onions / scallions (green and white parts)
- small bunch of basil finely chopped
- pinch or two of dried chilli flakes
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 T lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Mix the corn, onions, basil and chilli together in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs lightly and mix in the cream and lemon juice.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the vegetables, mix.
- Add the egg and cream mixture and stir until you have a nice thick batter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a splash of olive oil and when hot, scoop out the fritter batter into whatever size you want (about 2 - 3 tablespoons) and fry until lightly golden on each side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your preference and wedges of fresh lemon.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.