This ginger miso ice cream is now up there amongst the best and most delicious ice creams I have ever made. I am extremely proud of it. The fact that it contains no eggs or dairy and is vegan is quite astonishing in itself.
I first made it last year when I really started falling in love with miso paste and started using it often in my cooking. It’s an ingredient that I am now never without in my kitchen. I was also very eager to try it in a dessert.
The miso has a lovely salty butterscotch flavour which when added to cream is a lot like salted caramel. It may even be better than salted caramel. It’s somehow richer. Do not be put off thinking it is only used in savoury dishes. The ginger is a perfect match in this ice cream and I have used fresh ginger – which I infused in syrup – and crystalised ginger which is added to the ice cream for flavour and subtle texture.
It’s incredibly creamy and mind-blasting tasty its hard to believe it’s made with only 5 ingredients.
It has taken me a couple of tests to get the sugar levels exactly right in this recipe. I also wanted the ginger to be prominent but not overpower the ice cream. I added a teaspoon of lime juice which brightens it up ever-so-slightly but this is not totally necessary. I am happy that I now have the flavour exactly where I want it and for me, this is the best ginger miso ice cream I have ever tasted. Not that I have ever tasted any other ginger miso ice creams before, so I can genuinely say this without hesitation.
The only miso paste I have found in South Africa is a light golden colour and not as white as the white miso paste I have seen in other countries but is perfect for this recipe. You should be able to get it at your nearest Asian supermarket.
To check out a no-churn ziplock bag ice cream method, you can check out this easy chocolate ice cream recipe (also vegan).
Recipe makes about 650ml
Ginger miso ice cream (vegan)
- 150 ml water
- 115 g 1/2 a cup sugar
- 5 cm piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 400 ml 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp white miso paste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped or minced crystalised ginger
- 1 tsp ginger syrup
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice optional
- Bring the water, sugar, and ginger to a boil in a small pot until the sugar has dissolved. Bash the ginger around with a blunt object. Allow the syrup to cool and the ginger to infuse further.
- Strain the syrup into a bowl and add the coconut milk, miso paste & crystalized ginger, and ginger syrup. Whisk to ensure the miso is thoroughly incorporated. Add a teaspoon of lime juice (optional).
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn until it is a scoopable consistency. Remove and freeze until ready to serve.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.