This succulent roasted mushroom burger is so full of flavour and umami it’s as delicious as a good beef burger to me. With a thick layer of melted mozzarella, it will make any meat lover feel utterly satisfied.
* Cooks notes ~ This recipe could not be simpler and you need little else other than the pesto which already has all the flavour components. The Greek Pesto worked brilliantly with this recipe, but basil pesto would be just as delicious.
I love to butter the burger buns and then toast them on a griddle pan. It gives them a wonderful toasty taste and crunchy texture. If you are fond of heat, you could either add a sprinkle of dried chilli before roasting the mushrooms or a splash of your favourite hot sauce afterwards.
A few other Mushroom recipes you might enjoy:
Roast mushroom burger with pesto
- 4 large brown mushrooms wiped clean
- olive oil for brushing
- 4 T Pesto Princess Greek or Basil pesto mixed with 2Tbs olive oil
- 4 burger buns buttered and toasted
- 4 thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- Rocket and sliced red onion or any other accompaniment you desire
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Brush the smooth underside of the mushrooms with olive oil and place on a baking tray with the gills facing up.
- Mix the Pesto with the olive oil and divide this between the mushrooms (aprox 1 tablespoon of pesto for each mushroom), and spread this into the cavity.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove and place the cheese over each mushroom.
- Return them to the oven and bake for a further 5 mintes until the cheese has melted.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, brush the burger buns with butter and toast on a griddle pan until golden brown
- Assemble the burger with fresh rocket leaves, slices of red onion or any other garnish of your choice
In July I made cheese and onion bread using red pepper pesto which was delicious.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.