This succulent roasted mushroom burger is so full of flavour and umami it’s as delicious as a good beef burger to me. With a thick layer of melted mozzarella, it will make any meat lover feel utterly satisfied.
* Cooks notes ~ This recipe could not be simpler and you need little else other than the pesto which already has all the flavour components. The Greek Pesto worked brilliantly with this recipe. I love to butter the burger buns and then toast them on a griddle pan. It gives them a wonderful toasty taste and crunchy texture. If you are fond of heat, you could either add a sprinkle of dried chilli before roasting the mushrooms or a splash of your favourite hot sauce afterwards.
Roast mushroom burger with pesto
A delicious vegetarian burger of roast mushroom with pesto.
- 4 large brown mushrooms, wiped clean
- olive oil for brushing
- 4T Pesto Princess Greek or Basil pesto mixed with 2T olive oil
- 4 burger buns, buttered and toasted
- 4 thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- Rocket and sliced red onion (or any other accompaniment you desire)
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Brush the smooth underside of the mushrooms with olive oil and place on a baking tray with the gills facing up.
- Mix the Pesto with the olive oil and divide this between the mushrooms (aprox 1 tablespoon of pesto for each mushroom), and spread this into the cavity.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove and place the cheese over each mushroom. Return them to the oven and bake for a further 5 mintes until the cheese has melted.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, brush the burger buns with butter and toast on a griddle pan until golden brown
- Assemble the burger with fresh rocket leaves, slices of red onion or any other garnish of your choice
Keywords: Roast mushroom burger, pesto, vegetarian, recipe
In July I made a cheese and onion bread using the red pepper pesto which was delicious.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.