I’m a massive fan of carbonara and have thoroughly enjoyed playing around making vegetarian recipes for it. This one is based on my lemony spinach carbonara which I am besotted with, but in both cases, guanciale could be added it you felt it needed that bacon edge.
I developed this recipe and did a few shots for Earthbound Wines, the only South Africa label that is organic and fair trade.
This lemony zucchini carbonara is a quick and easy recipe to whip up in the middle of the week. You could replace the parsley with basil and add more of any of the elements to suit your taste.
lemony zucchini carbonara with chilliPrint Recipe
- 250 g pasta optional gluten free
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- ½ - 1 red chilli finely chopped or a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2 free-range eggs lightly beaten
- 100 ml crème fraiche
- Zest of a large lemon 2 small lemons
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese plus extra to serve
- 1 T chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to manufacturers in instructions. Make sure it’s very al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the zucchini and chili for a few minutes, tossing and shaking the pan. When this is cooked set aside.
- Get all the other ingredients ready.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain reserving 100ml of the cooking liquid. Put the pasta back in the pot with the liquid (off the heat). Add the egg and stir to incorporate. Add all the other ingredients – including the zucchini, stir and put the lid on. This will heat everything through. Adjust seasoning; it needs a good few grinds of black pepper.
- Serve immediately with more grated Parmesan.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.