To continue on a slight party theme, and to do a recipe that is perfect for summer and entertaining at this time of year, I give you these simple and delicious tomato and basil crostini with whipped goats cheese. They work perfectly for a light lunch or to serve as a snack with drinks. Rustic and packed with flavour, just the way I like it.
Simply take a baguette – I prefer to let it be a little stale, and cut slices as thick as you like. I think around 1.5cm works well. Brush them lightly with olive oil, place them on a large baking sheet, and roast in a 180 C / 350 F oven for 10 minutes. Just until they start going golden around the edges. I used a basil-infused olive oil which I love, but any good quality will do. Allow them to cool.
Whip up a topping of goat’s cheese and Mascarpone cheese which is extra thick and decadent. When you are ready to serve, spread a layer of whipped goat’s cheese on the crostini and top with the tangy dressed cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle over a few toasted pine nuts and serve.
You may also like:
Recipe – makes quite a few ~ Inspired by a recipe I saw Ina Garten do on TV recently
tomato and basil crostini with whipped goats cheese
- 1 large baguette cut into 1.5cm slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil to brush
- 500 - 700 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red onion very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1 t salt
- a generous grind of black pepper
- 2 T finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- toasted pine nuts to garnish small basil leaves - optional
whipped goats cheese
- 100 g goats cheese/chevin
- 80 g - 100g Mascarpone cheese or thick cream more or less depending on how 'goaty' you like your spread
- Make the crostini as per the instructions above. These can be made in advance and stored in a sealed container.
- Make the dressing and then toss the halved tomatoes in this. Do this at least 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavours to integrate.
- Make the whipped goat's cheese by simply beating together the cheese and Mascarpone with an electric hand-held whisk.
- When you are ready to serve, coat the tomatoes in the dressing and then spread and top the crostini.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.