This pasta dish with tomato, olive, anchovy, basil & lemon is pure heaven in a bowl. I’ve tossed capers and garlic in too for good measure. It reminds me of summer and everything I love to eat. When I dream of this, I also dream of long lazy lunches on a patio overlooking the sea with regular swims to cool off. It contains some of my favourite flavours and it makes me very happy.
Recently I did the food styling for my client UCook recently and this was one of the dishes we shot for their website. They are South Africa’s best home-cooking meal delivery service and I love their recipes.
They source top-quality produce and ethically farmed meat so you can trust that your food comes from a good place. I’ve made so many of their recipes before and blogged about a few of them. My two favourites are the trout cooked en papillote – which is so ultra-delicious and healthy that I eat it almost every week. The oven-baked cauliflower risotto is another winning recipe which I’ve made a few times.
I played around with a few of the ratios for this dish but kept the list of ingredients the same as theirs (apart from adding a sprinkling of smoked chilli flakes). I love all these flavours so much and really wanted my pasta to be super punchy, but you can adapt this to your liking. I think adding pan-fried prawns to the final dish would be amazing and definitely something I want to try soon.
For my other Ucook recipes:
I’ve called it a summer pasta but it can be made all year round. It’s especially nice in winter when you are craving a summery day.
Recipe serves 2
Pasta with tomato, olives, anchovy, basil & lemon
- 250 gms long noodle pasta spaghetti or linguini
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic finely chopped or crushed
- ½ – 1 green or red chilli de-seeded and finely chopped additional dried chilli flakes too if desired
- 6 – 8 anchovy fillets roughly chopped
- 50 g black Calamata olives de-pitted and halved
- 30 gm capers drained and roughly chopped
- 300 gms baby tomatoes halved
- Bunch basil about 10gms roughly chopped
- Small bunch parsley about 8gms roughly chopped
- Zest of half a lemon
- 30 – 40gms grated Parmesan or however much you like
- olive oil for cooking
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt generously. Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions and until al dente.
- Once cooked drain and set aside with a little olive oil drizzled over to separate the noodles.
- While the water is boiling, chop up all the ingredients in the recipe as mentioned above. Set aside.
- When the pasta is nearly ready, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a generous glug of olive oil. Cook the tomatoes for about 1 minute then add the garlic and chilli. Toss around the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Add the anchovies, olives and capers and cook for a further minute or two. Add a splash of water if necessary and if the ingredients start to stick to the pan. Swirl around to ensure the water emulsifies with the sauce.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and add the lemon zest. Once it’s heated through and mixed, remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped herbs.
- Serve immediately with the grated Parmesan cheese and extra fresh basil if desired. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.