This recipe for a classic South African Malva pudding with ginger and poached pears is a twist on this much-loved dessert. In a classic version, nothing would be added and you can find the best-ever recipe here. A classic South African Malva pudding.
I am lucky to have counted Ina Paarman as one of my regular clients in the past and loved working with this brand. The products are top quality and their Malva pudding premix tastes just like homemade. I have made this version of Malva pudding with ginger and pears poached in rooibos tea as a slight update to my previous rendition where I didn’t poach the pears in tea, but just ginger. I love to use tea in my poaching liquid, it adds a lovely subtle depth of flavour and the rooibos works so well with everything else. A cinnamon quill and a few star anise pods amplify this too.
You can find my version of malva pudding with poached pears and ginger and update with this poaching method, or for ease and convenience, buy the Ina Paarman mix.
You might also like:
Other South African favourite recipes:
Earl Grey tea milk tart -Baked milk tart
Malva pudding with ginger & pears poached in rooibos tea
- Mix up one pack of Ina Paarman Malva pudding or make a batch of the scratch recipe as per link above.
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbs finely chopped crystallized ginger
- + 1 Tbsp of the syrup reserved for the Malva sauce
- 3 large pears or 4 smaller ones peeled and cored
- 500 ml strong rooibos tea brewed 2 x teabags
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 3 x star anise pods
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Place rooibos tea, spice and sugar into a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the pears and cook for 10 minutes until soft but still holding shape. Drain and set aside.
- Make the Malva according to the pack and instructions adding ½ tsp ground ginger and the crystallized ginger.
- Spread in your baking dish and place the drained poached pears into the batter & cut side down to prevent the sauce pooling in the halves. Bake according to the pack or my recipe.
- When heating the Malva sauce, add 1 tablespoon ginger syrup and pour over the pudding as it comes out the oven.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.
- The original Malva pudding with orange juice
Find me on Instagram