This crispy noodle slaw with soy, honey & ginger dressing is a family favourite and I’ve given it an update with chilli and ginger for a dash of heat. I love a versatile salad that goes with everything and this is one of those. It’s the perfect side to serve at a braai (BBQ).
Get all the components ready in advance and then toss them together just before serving. The toasted noodles, seeds and almonds add an incredible crunchy texture and the flavour-packed sweet and salty dressing brings it all together. Use one or 2 packets of noodles depending on how crunchy you like them. Add wasabi, chilli or dried chilli flakes if you like a little heat, but omit them if you are serving this salad to children.
Recipe – Makes one large salad which will serve 4 – 6 people as a side and part of a meal
Crispy noodle slaw with soy, honey & ginger dressing
- 1 – 2 packets of 2-minute noodles
- 5 cups finely shredded cabbage
- ½ cup finely sliced sugar snap peas optional
- 1/3 cup of flaked almonds toasted
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- +-2Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 6 spring onions finely sliced white and pale green parts
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil optional
- ¼ cup runny honey
- 1 x garlic clove minced
- 1 heaped tsp grated ginger
- 1 – 2 tsp wasabi paste or one red chilli finely sliced, or a ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional to add heat)
- Cut up all the vegetables and mix together in a large bowl.
- Heat the grill element of your oven and break up the noodles onto a baking sheet and toast for about 10 – 15 cm under the grill until golden brown. Keep a close eye as they burn quickly and shake the pan a few times during the grilling process. Set aside.
- Dry pan fry the seeds until they start to pop and turn golden brown. Remove from the pan to prevent carry-over cooking and set aside.
- Put all the dressing ingredients into an empty jar and shake around.
- Toss the dressing, seeds, noodles, and nuts together and serve immediately.
Other salads you might like:
*This recipe content was created for Le Creuset SA to showcase their ceramic serving platters