These air fryer chocolate chip cookies are so easy to make and have the perfect crunch to chew ratio. The recipe contains a short list of basic ingredients and will have you whipping these up on the reg. You can find all the very specific details about how to make them below and why they were perfect to turn into ice cream sandwiches. This recipe is my first attempt at baking in the Instant Pot Vortex air fryer and I’m blown away by the speed and ease of it all. I can’t wait to bake more.
I got my Instant Pot Vortex air fryer in January and have been loving coking in it since. I make every kind of vegetable chip imaginable in minutes, and it’s wonderful to grill chicken pieces and crumbed anything. It sits on my countertop in a permanent home so I’m minutes away from dinner.
Things I love about my Instant® Vortex™ air fryer
It is square in shape so a better design vs. many other makes which are round and bulky. The interior basket is 240mm x 245mm square in shape and bigger in diameter, making it an overall better ergonomic design. It can easily fit a whole 1.8kg roast chicken plus potatoes!
The Vortex heats up quickly so you can go from zero to dinner in 15 minutes. The EvenCrisp™ technology, & super-fast heat-up time (205c in just over 2 mins).
It’s the perfect appliance if you are cooking smaller quantities as I do often. I’d say it’s absolutely essential if you live alone. IT IS SO EASY TO CLEAN.
It’s backed by Instant Pot® quality and technology, and I adore my Instant Pot. It’s a smart 4-in-1 appliance (Air Fry, Bake, Roast and Reheat) and the smart programs save settings and remember the way you cook. I love the touch screen controls and find them super easy to use. I didn’t even read the manual it was that intuitive.
How to bake choc chip cookies in an Air fryer:
- You can bake any choc chip cookie recipe in an air fryer but note that the underside tends to remain a little underdone and chewy. You can simply bake the cookie a little longer to balance this out. I suggest baking smaller cookies for around 8 – 9 minutes at 180C / 350F until they have golden domes and then allow them to sit in the fryer basket for 5 minutes before removing. This allows for a small amount of carryover cooking to take place on the underside of the cookie.
- Use baking paper and cut it into a round shape. It’s important to use nonstick baking paper so the cookie does not stick to the air fryer basket (do not use wax paper here or anywhere in baking). Cut the baking paper into a round shape. If its square the corners of the paper blow up and bend the cookie out of shape. Literally. To get perfectly round cookies, use a round piece of paper and space the cookies around the edges. I saw that in the USA they sell round air fryer baking paper sheets with holes in them, so I made my own by folding disc of paper over itself and punching holes with a punch. I am unsure if the holes make much difference vs using just an unholy sheet, but the idea is for more of the hot air to hit the cookie.
- If you want thicker cookies, then cool the tray of scooped cookie dough balls in the fridge or freezer for a bit first. You will have to play around with how much. Half an hour in the freezer will firm them up quite a bit and will prevent the dough from spreading while baking. This applies to baking cookies in a regular oven too.
- Allow enough space between the cookies so that they bake perfectly round. Rather bake a few extra batches if you are unsure. They only take 8 – 10 minutes for smaller / medium cookies.
- Take care when opening and closing the air fryer basket when putting in and or checking the cookies. If you are too rough the paper and cookies could slide around and result in uneven baking.
What kind of chocolate to use in Air fryer choc chip cookies:
I love to use dark chocolate to make these cookies as it balances out the sweetness so well giving the cookie a deeper chocolate flavour, but if you prefer to use milk chocolate, go ahead and use this. I have not tested this recipe using white chocolate, but it could turn out too sweet. Chocolate chips are best but if you can’t get hold of good quality chocolate chips, simply cut up a slab of chocolate into chunks.
How to mix the dough for a choc chip cookie:
The most important part about making a choc chip cookie is to really cream the butter and sugar together and ensure the butter is softened to a cool room temperature. It should not be too soft and should still have a little bit of give if you press it. If it is too soft it will not cream well. I prefer to use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, but the paddle attachment works just as well. Ensure you beat the butter and sugar and then the egg and vanilla until it is pale and fluffy.
The second part is to not over mix the flour. Once flour is added to liquids the gluten protein is activated and over mixing it can result in the baked good becoming too chewy.
I never bother sifting the flour for cookies as it’s not necessary, just mix the baking powder and baking soda into the flour to ensure it’s well distributed.
*Cooks notes. I used salted butter and then didn’t add any other salt into the mix. If you prefer to use unsalted butter, and then add ¼ of a teaspoon to the dough. I love add a light sprinkle of Maldon just before baking as it totally adds a delicious edge to a chocolate chip cookie, but you can leave this off if you are making them for children.
These are the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for ice cream sandwiches
As these air fryer chocolate cookies are slightly soft and chewy at the bottom they make the perfect ice cream sandwiches. Simply scoop your favourite ice cream onto one and top with another cookie. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel or any of the nut flavour profile ice creams would work very well here.
Can you freeze choc chip cookie dough?
Freezing raw choc chip cookie dough is so easy and it means you always have a stash to bake off in minutes. Simply freeze the scooped-out cookie dough balls or discs and then once frozen pop them into a Ziploc bag. The Air fryer is perfect to cook off a small batch of cookies at a time without the lengthy time it takes to preheat most ovens. Just thaw them before baking.
I tested this recipe 3 times but do leave a comment below if I have left anything out. let me know what your favourite thing to bake in an air fryer is?
Recipe – Makes 18 – 20 small cookies or +- 10 bigger onesPrint
Air fryer chocolate chip cookies
An easy chocolate chip cookie recipe made in the air fryer, as well as how-to tips.
110gms salted butter
100gms white sugar
100gms brown sugar (Muscovado is great here)
1 large free-range egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
180gms flour (I used cake flour)
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
100gms chocolate chips
A sprinkle of Maldon salt
Beat the butter and sugars together using a stand mixer with the whisk or paddle attachment About 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and continue whisking for a further few minutes until pale and fluffy.
Whisk the baking powder and baking soda into the flour briefly using a whisk. Add this to the egg and butter and whip on low speed until just combined. Add the choc chip and briefly mix.
Scoop out balls of dough to the size that you want and either pre-chill or place on a lined baking sheet or plate. 30gms gives you a small cookie, 40 – 45gms a bigger one.
Preheat the Instant Pot Vortex Air fryer to 180C /350F and set the timer for the time required to bake the number of cookies you would like. I set it for 30 minutes to facilitate 3 rounds of baking.
Once preheated, place the cut-out round of baking sheet into the air fryer basket and place the cookies spaced out around the edges. You should get 6 cookies in with one in the middle if you are making smaller 30gm cookies. You will fit 4 in at a time if they are bigger.
Bake for 8 – 9 minutes for a smaller cookie, and 10 – 12 minutes for larger cookies. You can open the air fryer basket (carefully) at any time to check.
Remove the tray when they are done and if you have time, allow them to sit in the fryer basket until they have firmed up a bit. Alternatively, remove and set aside on a cooling rack.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, air fryer, how to make chocolate chip cookies in an aire fryer, Instant Pot, Vortex air fryer
You may also like:
*This content is proudly produced in collaboration with Instant® Vortex™ air fryer