This recipe for crispy flatbreads with roasted vegetables and steak is so delicious and easy to make. It’s a recipe I developed for KWV to pair with their Classic Cabernet Sauvignon which has recently undergone an elegant new packaging update.
The theme is a summer picnic, and I wanted a recipe that would be a perfect match to the wine, and steak is always that for a cab.
All the elements can be made in advance and then packaged individually to be assembled on a board at a picnic. Herby crème fraiche, rocket, shaved Parmesan, and lemon finish this fabulous dish off that can be sliced up as you would a pizza. This of course makes a lovely summery lunch or supper to share too.
The KWV Cabernet Sauvignon is a well-balanced wine with aromas of ripe plums and blueberries with hints of cigar box, mint, herbs, and cedary oak. The 11 single varietal wines in the range are crafted for everyday enjoyment whilst being elegantly restrained.
To add to the picnic menu theme I also paired my red wine caramelised onion and goats cheese tartlets with the KWV classic Sauvignon Blanc. This is a recipe I have made for many picnics and is always a hit. The easy-drinking KWV Classic Collection Sauvignon Blanc. It is elegant and refreshing with passion fruit, lime, and guava bursting from your glass supported by hints of asparagus on the palate.
The reds in the range – Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinotage, and Petit Verdot are rich and flavourful. Elegant and vibrant is the golden thread running through the white wines – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Grenache Blanc, and Moscato. Capturing the best qualities of both, the Rosé is the perfect summer quaffer.
*Cooks notes – I love the combination of red onion, zucchini, and pepper in this medley of Mediterranean roasted vegetables, but you could use a selection of whatever vegetables you prefer. Roasted simply in olive oil with thyme, sea salt, and black pepper, they are robust enough to have on their own to keep things vegetarian. The flatbreads are at their best when made and eaten on the same day.
Served 2 – 4 at a picnic
Crispy flatbread with Mediterranean roasted vegetables & steak
- 400 gms zucchini thickly sliced
- 1 large red or yellow pepper cut into rough chunks
- 1 large red onion cut into 8ths and broken up into thick florets
- 2 thyme stalks
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt and pepper
- 150 gm self-raising flout
- 110 ml cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds – optional
- ½ tsp dried oregano optional
Herb crème fraiche:
- ½ tup 125gm crème fraiche
- Zest from ¼ lemon
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbs finely chopped chives or parsley
- Sea salt & pepper
- 250 gms steak or your choice
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Shaved parmesan to garnish
- Rocket leaves to garnish
- To roast the vegetables, preheat the oven to 200C/400F and toss the washed and cut vegetables into a large oven tray. Sprinkle lightly with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Add the thyme stalks if you are using them and toss the vegetables to coat. Roast for 30 minutes until starting to brown on the edges and is cooked through. Remove and bring to room temperature.
- To make the flatbread, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and using a fork bring it all together. Once a ball is formed, remove it from the bowl, and give it a short knead using extra flour as required. Set the dough aside to rest.
- To make the herb crème fraiche, mix all the ingredients together, season to taste, and then cover in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Brush the steak with olive oil and season very well with salt and black pepper. Fry in a very hot pan until caramelized and browned on the outside but pink on the inside (or to your preference). Set it aside to rest for 10 minutes. When cool, thinly slice against the grain and give the meat a spritz of lemon juice.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it’s as thin as it will go without breaking. It will be around 30cm in diameter. Heat a non-stick skillet or cast-iron pan to very hot and then drop the flatbread straight into the pan. Once bubbles start forming on the surface and the underside is starting to brown, flip it over and cook the other side.
- To assemble; spread the herb crème fraiche over the bottom of the flatbread, and top with the roasted vegetables and the thinly sliced steak. Garnish with parmesan shavings and fresh rocket. Season with more salt and pepper and serve.
*This post is proudly sponsored by KWV