pickled mushrooms with herbs, garlic and raspberry balsamic

pickled mushroom salad

drizzle over lots of the dressing

This recipe was given to me by a foodie friend who said they were sensational, and its been in my ‘blog -to-do-file’ for a while.

I tweaked it to include the very delicious Verlaque Balsamic Reduction with raspberries, and what a win it was.

balsamic reduction with fresh raspberries

What you need to make:

• 500 gms Button Mushrooms
  • 4-5 Cloves Garlic finely chopped or squashed
  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 3 Tbl spoons lemon juice
  • 100ml Verlaque balsamic reduction with raspberries (you could also substitiute this with verjuice)
  • 2 Tbl spoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 Tbl spoons chopped chives
  • Salt ( about 1 tsp of Maldon) and black pepper

How to make:

You could quarter or slice up the mushrooms which I think would be very nice, and would be necessary if they were quite big, but I left them whole.

Put all the ingredients, except the mushrooms into pot and bring to gentle boil.

Add the mushrooms and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Transfer into a jar or any container leaving them  in the liquid to cool overnight, and be warned that it is very tempting to eat them at this stage.

The flavours infuse and deepen overnight and the the fruity balsamic reduction adds a lovely little zing.

lip smackingly tasty and succulent

These pickled mushrooms are fantastic:

• sprinkled on a salad
  • served with crusty bread as a sandwich
  • as part of tapas or meze for a starter,  lunch or picnic
  • or anyway you desire….

The juice makes a delicious dressing once the mushrooms have been used.

delicious with crusty bread and a few leaves

piled high on slices of toasted baguette

, , ,

11 Responses to pickled mushrooms with herbs, garlic and raspberry balsamic

1. nina July 22, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

Stunning photos and that last photos has my midnight cravings going wild!!

2. Fiona July 23, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Yum Sam! I LOVE anything pickled and vinegary, so I’m salivating! Lovely photos.

3. drizzleanddip July 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks Fiona, this recipe is truly very tasty and they get better after a couple of days!

4. lisaiscooking July 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

These look so great! I love pickled vegetables and mushrooms, so this is something I need to try. The balsamic with raspberries sounds delicious!

5. drizzleanddip July 24, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

Thanks Lisa, the raspberry balsamic is awesome with them, but other wise you could use half vinegar and half white wine / verjuice.

6. Colleen July 26, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Oooooh, I think I could just pick these straight from the jar all day long. What a fab recipe. And your photos are stunning. That last one especially has me running to see if I still have any button mushrooms left in the fridge :o) Well done Sam xx

7. Marisa July 27, 2010 at 9:27 am #

This looks so good! How long would they keep, unopened?

8. drizzleanddip July 28, 2010 at 4:52 am #

Hi Marisa, Im down to the last 3 and they are a week old. They get even better after a few days. I would say a good few weeks in the fridge,perhaps even a month, thats if you can resist that long. They are so easy and great to keep on hand and then add to your sandwich or salad. You could also just use vinegar and white wine or verjuice.

1. VERLAQUE FINALIST – MANDARIN DUCK BREAST WITH CITRUS GINGER SOY GLAZE « browniegirl - July 27, 2010

[…] Heaven Nina Timm of My Easy Cooking Jessica Ulyate of Tiny Oven Adventures Sam Linsell of Drizzle and Dip and Susan Green of […]

2. mushroom and barley 'risotto' | Drizzle and Dip - May 16, 2013

[…] for risotto. They are the dullest of all the mushroom varieties. They work brilliantly when pickled, but opt for brown, oyster or if you are lucky enough to have access to a few wild varieties, […]

3. mushroom and barley ‘risotto’ | - May 20, 2013

[…] for risotto. They are the dullest of all the mushroom varieties. They work brilliantly when pickled, but opt for brown, oyster or if you are lucky enough to have access to a few wild varieties, […]