The Paloma is the most popular tequila based cocktail in Mexico and if you struggle to drink tequila cocktails because they bring back too many dreadful memories of drunken student days and debauchery, this might just be the alternative.
Its delightfully refreshing and sophisticated, complimenting spicy Mexican food perfectly.
I fell in love with this cocktail at my favourite Cape Town Mexican restaurant El Burro.
This is how they make this fabulous drink.
*1 shot = 25ml
*reposado tequila means rested tequila (aged in oak for at least 2 months)
- 1 1/2 shots of reposado tequila (or any good quality blanco)
- juice of half a ruby grape fruit
- 1/2 shot of agave syrup or sugar syrup
- about 75ml club soda
- a squirt of fresh lime juice (optional)
- Mix the grapefruit juice, tequila and sugar syrup until well mixed.
- Pour over a tall glass filled with ice and top up with soda water. You could add a squirt of lime juice which is nice and I did, and you could also rim the glass with salt.
If you are wanting to reduce your sugar intake, simply leave the sugar out. Its less sweet but delicious.
Tequila, it makes you happy. Enjoy!
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.