white chocolate and coffee mousse

white chocolate and coffee mousse

As a passionate foodie I have to admit – somewhat sheepishly – that I don’t drink coffee. It’s not even that I don’t like the taste. I do. It’s just that it has a very negative effect on my body. Occasionally I enjoy a decaf cappuccino, and strangely when I’m in Italy I find myself drinking it from time to time. It just feel like it has to be done there. Or maybe I’m so buzzed when I’m there anyway, the extra caffeine boost hardly makes a difference.

I do however love using coffee as an ingredient in my cooking and even more so in my desserts.

This is a decadent white chocolate mousse with a lovely light texture that is sure to impress at a dinner party. The coffee gives it a sophisticated flavour and the hazelnuts add crunchy texture.

Enjoy.

white chocolate and coffee mousse

Ingredients

• 300g good quality white chocolate
  • 100ml milk
  • 3t espresso powder
  • 1 cup cream
  • 2 egg whites
  • ¼ cup of toasted hazelnuts

Instructions

1. In a double boiler melt the chocolate, milk and coffee together. Set aside to cool.
  2. Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks, set aside.
  3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks then set aside.
  4. When the chocolate mixture is cooled (just off luke warm temperature), gently fold it into the cream and beaten egg whites. Mix this lightly so as to keep as much of the air as possible. As soon as it is incorporated, spoon the mousse into individual serving dishes or one large dish. Cover and refrigerate until set
  5. Scatter over chopped roasted hazelnuts and grated dark chocolate to serve.

This recipe was originally published in a Crush Magazine feature. Its well worth subscribing to this gorgeous and free monthly digital food publication.

, , ,

17 Responses to white chocolate and coffee mousse

1. Euodia May 15, 2014 at 9:17 am #

mmm… I can do with one of those right now..

2. Kim May 15, 2014 at 9:54 am #

Hi Sam. This looks and sounds divine and I think it would be a great desert for a family gathering I am hosting shortly. Just one question in regard to the instructions – it says to beat the cream and then beat the egg whites. But the instructions don’t say when or how the cream and egg whites must be combined or mixed? Must I beat each seperately and then add the one to the other i.e. fold the egg whites into the cream and after that add the cooled chocolate? Many thanks. Kim

3. Lia May 15, 2014 at 10:34 am #

Hi Sam,
    I love coffee and I love not just drinking it but also using it in puddings and even savoury food and your mousse is a real temptation and I have someone here at home that will love more than myself.
    Cheers,
    Lia.

4. Desire May 15, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

My stomach is growling and protesting, screaming for one of those right now!

5. Matt Robinson May 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

I am the same way, don’t drink coffee but love the flavor in certain things. And this mousse sounds amazing, especially on a boiling hot day like today, thanks!

6. Deb May 15, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

We are in the midst of another California heat-wave and the White Chocolate and Coffee Mousse sounds so tempting! A fabulous pairing of flavors!

7. tux May 16, 2014 at 2:25 am #

Wow! Sounds absolutely delicious!

8. Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

I love coffee desserts, this is beautiful!

9. Suné Moolman May 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

Oh my goodness! I love everything coffee – this looks fantastic!
    Your styling is brilliant as always.

10. Sam May 19, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks so much Sune 🙂

11. Fatemah May 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

Woow…this looks soo good. Brilliant pairing

12. Kathleen May 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Hi Sam,
    I read somewhere that coffee that has been made under very high pressure only contains very little caffeine, which would explain why Italian espresso does agree with you. Just wanted to share this, for what it’s worth…

Thanks for the great recipes !

13. Kim May 20, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Hi Sam. Must I fold together the cream and egg whites before adding the chocolate mixture? The recipe doesn’t specify? Thanks. Kim

14. Sam May 20, 2014 at 9:52 am #

HI KIm ‘When the chocolate mixture is cooled (just off luke warm temperature), gently fold it into the cream and beaten egg whites. Mix this lightly so as to keep as much of the air as possible. As soon as it is incorporated, spoon the mousse into individual serving dishes or one large dish. Cover and refrigerate until set’ – You bet the cream on its own, the egg whtes on hte own, you melt the choc and then allow to cool. then you gent;ly fold them all together.

15. Kim May 20, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Thanks Sam. I wasn’t sure as the instructions said to add the chocolate mixture to the beaten cream and egg whites, but the instructions hadn’t said to add the cream and egg whites together. Got it now. Thanks.

1. Coffee tequila ice cream with smashed malted chocolates | Drizzle and Dip - June 2, 2014

[…] white chocolate and coffee mousse […]

2. White Chocolate And Coffee Mousse | MBSIB: The Man With The Golden Tongs - July 12, 2014

[…] Source: drizzleanddip.com […]