For some reason, my blog has been quite an ice cream focussed lately which may seem odd. We are moving into the throes of winter here in Cape Town. Anyway, its warm in the northern part of the world right now and I’m a firm believer that ice cream can be enjoyed all year round. And quite frankly should be. This coffee tequila ice cream with smashed malted chocolates is delicious for any time and is probably amongst one of my all-time favourite recipes.
This recipe was first published in Crush, a lovely online monthly magazine that is worth subscribing to you if you don’t already. I developed a series of recipes using coffee for a feature article. I adapted my recipe for Patron XO Cafe ice cream which I made a few years back using one of my favourite drinks. I also love boozy ice creams.
This is a showstopper of an ice cream that will have everyone begging you for the recipe. The coffee tequila takes it to a whole new indulgent level and amplifies the coffee flavour in the ice cream. As far as the malted chocolates (or Maltesers, Whispers, malted puffs or whatever you want to call them) they go, well smashed over this ice cream and in it too.Print
Coffee tequila ice cream with smashed malted chocolates
Coffee tequila ice cream with smashed malted chocolates recipes.
- 2 eggs (free range)
- 1/2 cup (125g) sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cream, heavy or whipping
- 4T espresso powder
- 1t vanilla extract
- 3T café tequila liqueur (eg Patron XO Café)
- 1 cup malted puffs, roughly smashed in a bag, plus extra for serving
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy – about 3 minutes. This should double in volume.
- Dissolve the espresso powder in the milk, and add this along with the vanilla and the cream to the egg and sugar mixture and beat briefly.
- Add the tequila and run the mix through an ice cream maker until ready according to the manufacturer’s instruction and until it’s as firm as it will go. Add the smashed malted puffs and churn briefly until mixed.
- Transfer it into a freezer proof container or lined metal loaf tin, and freeze
- Serve with additional smashed malted puffs as garnish.
Keywords: Coffee tequila, ice cream, malted chocolates, whispers, maltezers
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
The other recipes in the coffee series: