I love pasta and risotto with fresh herbs and lemon. It gives the whole dish a stunning light wake up call. Basil, lemon, peas and Parmesan in a creamy risotto are a heavenly match.
I made this in my Breville Multi Chef, which has a special risotto setting. Yes, this means exactly what you think it does. No stirring. So, as much as I don’t really mind all the stirring, it can become a bit tiresome being glued to the stove for 25 odd minutes, especially if you dont have a glass of wine in your hand a friend talking to you.
What occurred to me when making risotto for the first time in this appliance was I was able to do half my prep while other things were on the go. So this dish took a total of 35 minutes from start to finish.
You could however make other risotto recipes where everything goes in and you walk away for 20 minutes. But here I added the peas, basil and lemon zest about 15 minutes in.
I have used this wonderful machine it to make my slow cooked chicken and red wine casserole with herb dumplings, and ginger beer hoisin pulled pork in gau bao buns because the steaming function is another rad little thing it does.
This is a perfect spring risotto with zesty lemon and fragrant basil
Recipe – serves 4 – 6
- 2T olive oil
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 350g Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g green asparagus, spears cut off and stems sliced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- Grated zest of 2 Lemons (2T)
- 2T finely chopped basil
- 3 – 4 T butter (optional)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre heat the Breville Multi Chef for 3 minutes on SEAR | SAUTE.
- Once hot, remove the lid and add the oil and heat for a further 2 minutes.
- Sauté the onion for about 4 – 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the risotto rice and stir to coat. Once it starts making crackling sounds, add the wine and stir until this is has absorbed.
- Add the cut stems of the asparagus, the hot stock and stir. Press the START / CANCEL button. Press the RISOTTO setting and put the lid on.
- While that is cooking, pan fry the asparagus tips and thaw the peas if they are frozen. After 15 minutes add the peas, asparagus, lemon zest and basil to the risotto, give it a quick stir and put the lid back on. When it switches to the Warm setting (after a total time of around 20 – 30 minutes), remove the lid, stir through the optional additional butter and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- *check at about 20 minutes if it is ready. If it is, press Cancel and add the butter and Parmesan.
* This post has been sponsored by Breville South Africa. I am working on a few projects with their marketing team, including developing recipes using these amazing appliances. Breville appliances are exclusively available at @Home nationwide.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.