This is a family favourite recipe and ranks as one of my all-time best salads. I love it because of the texture combinations, I’m a crunch junkie. I love the seeds and the almonds which delivery both texture and flavour, and for some bizarre reason I have always loved the taste of raw cabbage and the slight pepperiness of it.
The dressing is sweet and salty and I added a bit of wasabi to give it a teeny kick. You could add more, or even chilli if you wanted to ratchet the heat up a notch.
What you need for the salad (I made a few changes to the recipe which is just cabbage and spring onions).
- finely shredded cabbage – about 4 – 5 cups or half a medium cabbage
- 4 spring onions finely sliced (the white and some of the green parts)
- 1 celery stalk finely sliced
- a cup of mange tout (sugar snap peas) finely cut lengthways
- a handful of toasted almond flakes
- a handful of toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 packet of 2-minute noodles broken up and toasted under the grill
- a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs soya sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup honey (or syrup)
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1/2 – 1 tsp wasabi paste
The thing to do is to get all the components ready and then toss together just before serving.
So dry pan fry the seeds and set aside. Toast the broken up pieces of noodle under the grill and set aside. Cut up all the vegetables (or just cabbage if you prefer) and mix together.
I pour all the dressing ingredients into an empty jar and shake around.
Toss all together and serve immediately.
This salad goes really well with any grilled meat or fish. Its great for a braai (BBQ). I ate this with a delicious pan-fried piece of angelfish with lime zest salt.