Turkey is not easily available all year round in South Africa and not a popular meat other than at Christmas time, which is sad for me. I love it because of its flavour and even more so because its a super food and considered in the top two animal proteins from a nutrient perspective.
Chipotle, the delicious smokey jalapeno chilli in adobo sauce is also not a main stream product here, but it is one which I cannot live without. If you are unfamiliar with what it is you can get a quick educational here. Its super versatile and I thought it would be delicious in my turkey burger.
I started out thinking along the Asian flavour lines, and then sort of did a 180 and added chipotle, and it all worked out very well.
For any poultry burger, I love to add a generous lashing or two of mayonnaise (your favourite store bought or whip up a quick batch of your own), and loads of crunchy green lettuce. A toasted burger bun competes the scene.
I cracked open a bottle of the delicious Boilermaker Grindstone Ale to go with the burger and as a non beer drinker I was blow away. I initially wanted to use it simply as a prop because I love the look of the bottle, and beer in a burger picture makes everything look more delicious, but here I sit editing my pics, sipping away and loving it. I couldn’t find a website on the bottle, but it says its ‘….a well hopped IPA brewed using locally sourced ingredients’ and bottled in Kommetjie. Its available via The League if Beers.Print
chipotle turkey burger
- 250g turkey mince
- 1 T finely chopped coriander / cilantro (small handful)
- 2 t soy
- 1 T finely chopped chipotle chilli in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup of crumbs (I used Asian panko)
- a few drops of sesame oil
- a good pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- splash of oilve oil to fry the burger
- burger buns, mayonnaise and lettuce to serve
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well and form into burger patties. Heat a non stick frying pan and fry the patties until golden brown on both sides and cooked.
- Toast your burger buns, spread mayonnaise and add fresh lettuce leaves to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 huge burger or 2 smaller ones
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page to get updates of all my posts.