I’m going big with ways to rock your Christmas leftovers this year, and a breakfast hash is a wonderful way to use up left over roast potatoes and of course any leftover gammon. You can really add whatever you like. The gammon makes it a hearty meal, and is ideal to feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch on Boxing day.
The peppers and smoked paprika give it a Spanish edge.Print
rustic smoky breakfast hash with gammon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3T olive oil
- half a red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 100g gammon, sliced and cut into smaller pieces
- 400 â?? 450g left over roast potato (about 3 â?? 4 large potatoes) cut into chunks
- 1½ t smoked paprika
- 1/4t dried smoked chilli flakes (optional)
- 1T chopped parsley (and a little extra for sprinkling)
- salt and pepper
- 4 free-range eggs.
- A few drops of chipotle hot sauce like Chalula or Tabasco (optional)
- Fry the onion over a medium heat in olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, zucchini and garlic and continue to cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Add the potatoes, gammon, spices and parsley and toss around until heated through. Check the seasoning adding salt and pepper as desires.
- While the hash is cooking, and in a separate pan, fry the eggs.
- Serve the hash with a fried egg on top, a scattering of chopped parsley and a few drops of hot sauce.
This recipe was first published in Crush online magazine edition 36. A fantastic free food magazine.