I love blueberry pancakes for breakfast, and if you add ricotta to the batter you’ll get a much richer, fluffier and not as sweet result. This is perfect when you drizzle over maple syrup or honey. A dollop of Greek style yoghurt gives it creaminess and makes it even more breakfast like. I mean, we need to indulge every now and again.
I used my Breville 800 Class Mixer, which whips up the batter in minutes. You could make these on a busy weekday morning too. The Breville non-stick electric frying pan is like a restaurant flat top and thus THE perfect appliance to make pancakes. I made 4 decent sized ones at a time. I thought it was the ultimate appliance for making paella (which it is) – but now I think its ability to cook up perfect pancakes makes it worth buying for that reason alone. I still need to give it a whirl to make fried eggs in bulk, or just a big breakfast in general. I know it’s going to rock at that.
Orange and blueberry are delicious flavour partners so I added the zest of one to the mix.
Makes 10 – 12 decent sized pancakes
blueberry pancakes with ricotta and orangePrint Recipe
- 3 large free-range eggs separated
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ t baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- zest of an orange
- 150 g - 200g ricotta
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- butter from frying
- Whisk the egg whites in the Breville stand mixer until they form stiff peaks and set aside in another bowl.
- Place all the remaining ingredients, except the ricotta and butter, into the same bowl you whisked the whites and mix briefly to form a batter. Gently stir the ricotta until it is incorporated. Add the beaten egg whites and fold this through the batter. Add the blueberries and fold these in.
- Heat The Breville nonstick electric frying pan and add a knob of butter.
- Drop generous dollops of batter into the pan (depending on the size you want to make. I find about a third of a cup makes a decent size pancake. Turn them
- as the surface starts to bubble. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of syrup or honey and a dollop of Greek-style full-fat yoghurt and few extra fresh berries on the side.
* Disclaimer * This post has been sponsored by Breville South Africa. I am working on a few projects with their marketing team, including developing recipes using these amazing appliances. Breville appliances are exclusively available at @Home nationwide.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.