Easter is nearly upon us and I’ve always got hot cross buns lying around. I absolutely adore them. I stash them in the freezer too. This recipe for hot cross bun French toast waffles is a fun and easy way to turn your buns into a more substantial breakfast treat and builds on from my previous recipe for french toast waffles.
I’ve started making my own hot cross bun recipe and my version with stout is my all time favourite. Really easy to do once you factor all the timings in. This recipe works well with shop bough buns because they are softer and they soak up the egg mix really quickly.
I ran a few tests and a simply dip in the mix keeps the waffles quite firm, but I prefer them to be a little more fluffy so I find the optimum time to allow them to wallow in the egg and milk mixture is around 30 seconds. They get fairly soggy but fluff up beautifully in the waffle iron.
Make sure you shake off any excess egg mix before placing them in the very hot and buttered waffle iron.
I’ve seasoned the egg mix with cinnamon and vanilla, but you could also add orange zest to give it a citrusy zing. This is always delicious with waffles and these blueberry pancakes with ricotta.
How to make hot cross bun french toast waffles
You might also like:
Recipe – this is enough mix to make about 4 hot cross buns cut in half / so 8 halves.
Hot cross bun french toast waffles
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk 125ml
- 4 hot cross buns cut in half evenly
- Butter for the waffle iron
- syrup to serve
- 5Heat a waffle iron to the hottest setting.
- Beat he eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla together until well combined. Soak each hot cross bun half for about 30 seconds – flipping over a couple of times to ensure both sides absorb the egg / milk mixture *ensure the dish is deep enough so that the bun s can be largely submerged. The last couple will be less so.
- Butter the waffle iron light (or use a non stick cooking spray) and place the buns in the middle. Close the lid and cook until they are golden brown on both sides and fluffed up.
- Serve immediately with syrup, cream, ice cream or fresh fruit.