This mocha mousse parfait is a combination of a delectably light coffee and chocolate mousse nestled on top of a biscuit crumble base of Cappuccino Romany Creams. It’s one of my favourite recipes that I developed for Bakers biscuits in a recent project. You can make this into one large dessert or 10 – 12 individual servings. Coffee and chocolate together make mocha and it really is a dreamy flavour combination.
The biscuit base gives them a lovely textural layer but you could also make the mousse part on its own, then this would just be a classic mocha mousse recipe. Top with fresh cream and chocolate shavings or just chocolate shavings.
How to make mocha mousse parfait
When making chocolate mousse it’s all about technique. You are wanting to whip as much air in as possible and try to retain that texture. Don’t take any shortcuts and be sure to make the three separate components as I mention. Allow the chocolate to cool and then gently fold everything together at the end for the minimal amount of time required. In terms of chocolate, this recipe is quite forgiving. I generally prefer to use couverture in my desserts – and of course, this is the optimal ingredient, but this is really delicious with a less expensive everyday kind of dark chocolate too.
Other desserts you might. like:
Recipe – Makes 1 large dessert or 10 – 12 individual portions
Mocha mousse parfaitPrint Recipe
- For the crumb base
- 2 x packs of Cappuccino Romany creams 400gms
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 200 gm dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp strong instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 3 free-range eggs separated
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 500 ml cream
- To make the crumble base, bash up the biscuits by hand in a Ziploc bag using a rolling-pin, or pulse in a food processor to get a rough textured crumble. Mix the instant coffee with the water and dissolve. Add this to the biscuit crumbs along with the milk and mix. Spread this on the base of a 28cm round serving dish or divide it amongst your individual serving dishes.
- To make the parfait, dissolve the coffee in the hot water and heat this with the chocolate in a double boiler until melted. Allow to cool to a tepid temperature.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and place the whites in a bowl. Using an electric beater whisk these until soft peak stage. Add the caster sugar slowly and then beat until the meringue is glossy.
- In another bowl beat the cream until soft peaks.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture using the beater you used to whip the cream, and beat until well combined.
- By hand gently fold the chocolate mixture through the egg whites and then through the cream. Fold this through so that it’s well combined without bashing out too much air.
- Spoon the mousse into each glass and allow to set in the fridge.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings or cream and chocolate shavings.
Find me on Instagram