A couple of months back La Motte sent me a press drop that included a few mini loaves and the recipe for this ‘Ouma se broodjie’ (Grandmother’s small bread) and I fell instantly in love with it. I would describe it as a classic South African Cape seed loaf and it’s the perfect whole wheat bread recipe to play around with by adding a few extra seeds, nuts or oats.
I parked it on the back burner to make for my blog and then Covid 19 hit the world with a vengeance. Since we are now making more bread at home, I thought I would whip up a loaf to share. It involves yeast, but no kneading and is pretty easy to do. You can make it into 6 mini loaves, 2 medium loaves or one large one. I made a medium and a smallish one and plan to slice it to freeze for the coming few weeks of lockdown.
Recipe – slightly adapted from Pierneef a’ La Motte
Recipe – makes 1 large loaf or 2 smaller ones
Easy whole wheat bread recipe
- 2 Tbsp 30ml honey
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil plus a little extra to brush
- 3 cups 750ml lukewarm water
- 5 cups Whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 packet 10gms instant dry yeast
- 1/3 – ½ cup linseeds / flaxseeds optional
- 1/3 – ½ cup sunflower seeds optional
- 1/3 – ½ cup pumpkin seeds optional
- Add the honey and oil to the water and stir until the honey dissolves
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast and seeds (keep some seeds back for sprinkling on the loaf top).
- Stir the honey water into the flour mixture until it forms a stiff dough with no dry patches. It will have a similar consistency to a fruit cake batter. Leave the mixture to rest for an hour before stirring again and then decant into a large loaf tin or smaller tins that have been lined with baking paper.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm spot for about an hour. It should more or less double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F
- Sprinkle a little water over the top and scatter the seeds. Bake for 45 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 180C / 350 F and bake for a further 30 minutes. *For smaller loaves, bake at 180C/350F for 45 minutes.
- As the bread is removed from the oven brush with oil and then allow to cool on a rack.
A few more delicious bread recipes:
Find me on Instagram