I was so excited to try this Instant Po Duo Crisp crispy pork belly with ginger & garlic & a sticky hoisin sauce because I was intrigued by how the Instant pot would get the meat rendered and meltingly tender whilst also crisping up the crackling to perfection.
The Instant Pot New Duo Crisp has an air fryer lid attachment so this all happens in two phases, in one pot. I tested the recipe 3 times using varying amounts of pork belly. You want to cut it into pieces so that it fits into the pot. It shrinks fairly quickly once the pressure cook stage happens. The Air fryer lid works really well to crisp the skin.
I made a video to show you how as well as detailed the steps below. I didn’t want to waste the cooking broth so after removing the fat through my paper towel method I boiled it with hoisin to make a delicious sticky sauce. I love to serve it with steamed basmati rice and wilted greens such a bok choy.
How to make crispy roast pork belly in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp:
Score the meat lightly in a criss-cross pattern.
Cut the pieces of pork belly to fit the pot and add all the liquid and aromatics according to the recipe.
Pat the skin dry with a paper towel once it has been cooked.
Cut the skin into thin strips.
Sprinkle over the mixture of salt and bicarb as per the recipe and rub it in all over the surface.
Lightly brush with oil.
Cook with the air fryer lid and remove when the crackling is golden brown and delicious.
When you are ready to serve, place your crispy pork belly on a board.
Cut the pork belly into slices.
Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Available from Yuppiechef
*This post is proudly sponsored by Instant Pot South Africa
For all my other instant pot recipes:
Lamb shanks with red wine, rosemary and bay leaves (with video)
Recipe – serves 2 – 4
Instant Pot crispy pork belly
Pressure cook phase:
- Approx 1 - 1.2 kg boneless pork belly
- 1 ½ cups ginger beer
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 star anise
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ red chilli finely chopped or ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
Air fryer phase:
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Aprox 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 apple sliced
- 3 Tbsp hoisin for the sauce
- Basmati rice steamed green such as bok choi, toasted sesame seeds, togarashi, sliced spring onions
- Cut the pork belly into 4 pieces to fit in the bowl of the IP. Lightly score the underside of the meat in a cross pattern (about 2mm deep) to facilitate more flavour absorption.
- Put all the other ingredients into the pot and stir. Place the belly into the liquid making sure the skin remains exposed at the top. Lightly sprinkle salt on the skin.
- Pressure cook on high for 20 – 22 minutes depending on the thickness. Use a 15-minute natural release.
- Remove the pork belly to a board and pat the skin dry with a paper towel. Cut thin strips through the hard layer of fat. Keep patting dry as you go.
- Mix the salt and baking powder together and rub over the surface of the pork belly. Lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Allow the liquid in the Instant Pot bowl to settle then remove the top layer of fat by placing a layer of paper towel over the top. Once it has soaked up the fat remove and discard. Repeat a second time.
- Pour the. Liquid into a small pot, remove the star anise and bring it to a simmer with the 3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce. Allow this to reduce by half and thicken (approx 15. minutes but keep a watchful eye).
- Place the bowl back into the IP and place the Air Fryer basket with the metal circular rack placed on the top position. Slice the apple into medium-thick slices and place onto the rack.
- Place the scored and seasoned pork belly onto the apple slices and put the Air fryer lid on. Set the timer to 20 – 25 minutes to Broil (depending on thickness). If you are unsure, set it to 20 minutes initially and check, then cook for a further 5 minutes if it is quite a thin piece of meat.
- Once cooked, remove the crispy pork belly to a chopping board and serve with steamed rice, steamed greens and garnishes of your choice.
- Drizzle over the sticky hoisin sauce.
Find me on Instagram