These cheese and herb muffins with whipped Bovril butter are perfect to serve with a bowl of soup. They are quick and easy to make by hand in around 45 minutes. I made 4 jumbo muffins because that seemed like the right size for now, but you could easily make them into regular-sized muffins too.
I have been busy testing bread recipes using Gideon Milling flour and have been blown away by the incredible quality of this stone-ground local flour mill. I can’t wait to share this recipe with you soon.
The Whole-wheat flour is unsifted and everything that is milled goes into the bag including the wheat germ. This delivers obvious health benefits and adds texture. It also adds weight, so for these cheese and herb muffins, I’ve used only about 25% of whole wheat flour and the rest cake flour which is finer. If you prefer a slightly softer muffin, use only the cake flour (see note about reducing the milk if you do).
Two types of cheese and a flurry of fresh and dried herbs give these muffins a lovely flavour. You can use whatever you have available, and rosemary would be nice here too.
The Bovril butter adds umami flavour to these savoury muffins which are best served straight out of the oven so it melts right into the crumb. Use Marmite if you prefer and keep this vegetarian.
You might also like:
Recipe – makes 4 – 5 Jumbo muffins – or 8 – 10 smaller ones
Cheese & herb muffins with whipped Bovril butter
Cheese & herb muffins:
- 50 grams Gideon Milling Whole wheat flour
- 160 grams Gideon Milling Cake Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- Small pinch of Cayenne pepper optimal
- 1.5 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 Tbps chopped parsley or chives
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs or any dried herb
- 80 grams grated mature Cheddar and a little extra for the top - I used the large grate
- 30 grams grated parmesan or Pecorino
- 1 large free-range egg
- 210 ml milk use 30 ml less if not using whole wheat flour
- 60 ml oil or melted butter
Whipped Bovril butter:
- 100 grams salted butter room temperature or slightly softened
- 1 tsp Bovril or a dash more if you like it stronger
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line your muffin tins with baking paper or muffin liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together until well combined then add the herbs and cheese. Stir this through the dry mix until evenly distributed.
- Beat all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl then add this to the dry ingredients. Fold through with a wooden spoon until well combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the lined muffin cups and sprinkle a little extra cheese over the top. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes (depending on the size) and when the muffins start turning golden.
- Serve warm or hot out the oven with the whipped Bovril butter.
To make the Bovril butter:
- While the muffins are baking, whip the slightly softened butter with the Bovril using an electric whisk. Once it softens and fluffs up, it is ready to serve.