I’ve adapted my hugely popular recipe for whole roasted chicken with ginger and orange to a tray roast rendition with new potatoes. This roast chicken with orange and ginger is the perfect one-pan weeknight-winning dinner. The combination of the roast chicken pan juices, fresh orange juice, ginger, stock, and thyme make a wonderful sauce for the chicken to cook in and pour over at the end. Roast a few extra oranges in another pan if space in the roasting pan is limited as these can be squeezed over the chicken.
I developed this recipe for roast chicken with orange, ginger, and new potatoes to pair with Kara Tara Pinot Noir Made from grapes sourced from carefully selected premium vineyards in the Elgin region. Kara Tara Pinot Noir is an elegant, lightly wooded style of Pinto Noir showing classic strawberry and cheery nites coupled with a hint of spice.
A firm, yet silky-smooth tannin structure supports the lovely bright fruit characteristics of the wine. The 2019 vintage was the 4thyear of drought, but the weather was generally moderate during the harvest and produced grapes of moderate sugar levels and good natural acidity.
Recipe – serves 4
You might also like:
My Spiced chicken skewers with green papaya salad are a quick low carb and healthy recipe idea
These Easy duck pancakes with plum sauce are so much easier than you would imagine
You can find a list of all My best winter comfort recipes
This recipe for Roast chicken with herbs, white wine, and cream is always a winner and very popular here.
You can also check out All my chicken recipes
If you are looking for a delicious chicken salad, look no further than my Fattoush salad recipe
I love Pork carnitas and everything you can make with them, especially Pork carnitas tacos
For a fancy dinner, you will love this Herb-crusted rack of lamb
Roast chicken with orange & ginger & new potatoes
- 1 large free-range chicken cut into 8 pieces (or just use a mix of 8 large chicken pieces)
- 250 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Finely grated zest from 2 oranges
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 cm piece ginger finely grated (1 Tbsp)
- 125 ml / half a cup chicken stock
- 1 orange cut into 8 wedges
- 500 gms baby potatoes
- 4 thyme stalks
- Salt & pepper
Additional roasted oranges (optional)
- 2 oranges cut into wedges
- olive oil
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 2 – 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F
- Joint your chicken and place it in a large oven roasting tray with the skin side up. Place the new potatoes in amongst the chicken pieces and arrange the wedges of oranges and thyme stalks to fit in between. Season the bird well with salt and white pepper.
- Make the stock and then add the orange juice, zest, garlic, and ginger, and mix. Pour this over the chicken and potatoes.
- If you are making additional orange wedges to roast alongside this chicken, toss the orange wedges in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place in a single layer on a baking tray. Sprinkle over a little ground ginger and brown sugar.
- Roast the chicken uncovered for an hour – to an hour and 10 minutes until it's golden. If you are roasting the additional orange wedges, do so within 45 minutes of the cooking time then remove them and set them aside to serve with the chicken.
- Place the chicken and potatoes on a serving platter and then strain out all the pan liquid and drizzle this over the chicken and serve any excess on the side. Good crusty bread is great to dip into the sauce.