This warm salad of broccoli, new potatoes, artichokes & pesto is inspired by a salad I ate at Jason’s Bakery in Greenpoint recently and found utterly delicious. It’s like giving yourself a hug from the inside. It’s the perfect winter comfort food that is also healthy and for when you can’t face another bowl of soup and cold salad is too cold. I was reminded how well pesto and broccoli go together and how I need to toss it through pasta and other things more often.
I roasted the halved new potatoes until golden brown in my air fryer, and I always have a jar of basil pesto stashed in my freezer. The artichoke hearts came out of a tin. This is an ingredient I always have on hand in my pantry. You only need a handful of fresh leaves to wilt through this salad and rocket is amazing here.
The whole dish is finished off perfectly with a fried or poached egg giving it a protein boost.
If you are making this salad for more than one person, poaching the eggs would be better. Allow the soft yolk to drizzle over the warm salad taking it to the next level. Fried pumpkin seeds add a crunchy element to finish this off. Leave the egg off totally to keep this vegan.
You might also like:
Recipe – makes one generous salad for 1
Warm salad with broccoli, new potatoes, artichokes & pesto
- 4 new potatoes cut in half, tossed in olive oil and roasted until golden brown
- Approx. 2 ½ cups of broccoli florets use tender stem if you prefer or a combo
- 2 artichoke hearts quartered
- A handful of rocket leaves
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto or to taste
- 1 free-range poached or fried egg soft is best
- 1 ½ Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Roast your potatoes and steam your broccoli for 3 minutes in a pot of shallow boiling water. Drain and refresh under cold water. Cut the artichokes and get everything ready.
- When you are ready to assemble the salad, poach or fry the egg.
- In the same pot, you cooked the broccoli, heat a splash of olive oil, and add the drained broccoli and artichokes. Add the pesto and very gently toss this through.
- Add the rocket and heat this through with the lid on. Once it’s warm, season it with salt and pepper, give it a gentle toss and assemble your salad.
- Place the warm roasted (and seasoned) new potatoes on the bottom of a bowl and then top with the warmed broccoli and artichokes coated in basil.
- Top with your egg and a sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds and eat immediately.