This chicken, sausage, and potato tray roast with apricot, herbs & bay pretty much cooks itself and is so delicious you will immediately put it on your weeknight supper rotation. The flavour-packed roasting liquid of chicken stock, sherry, thyme, mustard, garlic, and apricot jam makes the most delicious pan gravy you might want to make for guests too. Have bread on standby to mop it all up.
French preserve manufacturer Bonne Maman asked me to produce a savoury recipe showcasing one of their products. I chose their apricot preserve and I’m going to show you what I did with it. I love apricot with chicken and grew up with a recipe that famously involved apricot juice and brown onion soup so I adapted one of my favourite tray roast chicken recipes to include apricot jam. Marmalade would work equally well here and what I have used in the past with a similar recipe (from my first cookbook).
What I used to make this chicken, sausage and potato tray roast:
- I have used pork sausages here but Italian sausages (salsiccia) with fennel would be very delicious too. They tend to be bigger so use only 4 if you do.
- Bay and thyme give this salty-sweet roast chicken a herbaceous hit, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley finishes sit off.
- New potatoes are perfect in this recipe. Cut them in half if they are a little big.
- Garlic & Dijon mustard is always a good idea.
You may also like:
Bonne Maman® is exclusively available in South Africa at Woolworths
Recipe – serves 4
Roast chicken, sausage and potato tray roast
- 8 pieces of free-range chicken bone-in and skin on
- 8 pork sausages or 4 large Italian sausages
- 500 gms new potatoes
- 3 – 4 bay leaves
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 400 ml stock chicken stock
- ½ cup Medium Cream Sherry
- 2 large garlic cloves crushed
- 4 Tbsp Bonne Maman apricot preserve
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350 F
- Cut the potatoes in half if they are big and arrange them with the chicken pieces and sausages in a large deep-sided roasting pan. Tuck the bay leaves and thyme sprigs under and around the chicken.
- Mix the stock, sherry, garlic, mustard and Bonne Maman apricot preserve in a jug and pour over the chicken & sausages. Drizzle a little olive oil on the bits of sausage and chicken that are sticking out of the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered for an hour, or until cooked through and golden. Arrange om a serving platter.
*This post is proudly sponsored by Bonne Maman