If I’m not making my healthy blueberry and banana protein smoothie, and I feel like something more substantial this berry smoothie bowl with banana, is it? It’s a bright, vibrant and healthy breakfast packed with all the food groups to get your day started.
I had never been a fan of a smoothie bowl until I tasted a delicious one at my recent stay at The Robertson Small Hotel. I could never understand why all the ingredients aren’t just blitzed into a beverage the way they were intended to be, and why they were deconstructed into a more solid format. Then I realized it was all about texture and as a textural eater this all made sense. Smoothie bowls are a way to add loads of different fruit, nuts, and granola and I love berry smoothie bowls. They also look vibrantly beautiful.
With this recipe for a berry smoothie bowl, I designed it around my favourite smoothie recipe. I love peanut butter (or any nut butter), banana, and berries in my smoothie. I always keep a stash of mixed berries in my freezer for this.
Instead of adding any sweetener, I’ve used raisins to deliver a delicious and natural sweetness to this smoothie or smoothie bowl. Packed with fiber, antioxidants, and iron they are a great alternative to sugar. Top your smoothie bowl with an assortment of fruit, granola, seeds, or nuts.
How to make your berry smoothie bowl vegan?
To make this smoothie bowl vegan simply replace the yoghurt with any non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, or oat milk) of your choice, or for a thicker option, replace it with a non-dairy yoghurt such as coconut.
For something savoury, you might like my easy and healthy high-protein cottage cheese waffles.
You may also like:
More recipes with raisins:
Recipe – makes 2 – 3 smoothie bowls or 3 smoothies
Berry smoothie bowls
- ¼ cup golden sultanas or raisins
- 3 cups mixed frozen berries blueberry, raspberry, strawberry
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup plain yoghurt or double cream yoghurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter or any nut butter
- Fresh berries cut fruit, sliced bananas, granola, coconut shavings, additional raisins, seeds & chopped nuts.
- Pour boiling water over the raisins and allow to soak for 10 minutes to plump up. Drain and add them to a bowl of a blender along with all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into bowls and top with whatever you fancy or pour into glasses and drink.