This Melon, mozzarella & parma ham salad with a honey & mustard vinaigrette is a delicious summer salad. Light and fresh the creamy Mozzarella creates a lovely texture and flavour contrast to the sweet melon and salty Parma ham. Served on a bed of crunchy watercress and rocket leaves with honey and Dijon mustard vinaigrette it makes the perfect starter for a feast.
I first published this recipe as part of an Italian menu but wanted it to have a dedicated post. For my main course, I made tagliatelle with roasted butternut and mascarpone sauce, and for dessert, I did a Limoncello crème with a nut crumble.
Find the full recipe in the card below
- Melon I used spanspek/ Cantaloupe but Honeydew melon would also be delicious
- Prosciutto/Parma Ham
- Fresh Mozzarella –bocconcini or burrata will also work
- Arugula / Rocket
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Honey & mustard
- salt & pepper
How to make melon and parma ham salad
Cut the melon in half and then scoop out a few balls with a melon baller. It looks pretty to cut wedges and make balls.
Cut the rest of the melon into thin wedges then remove the hard outer skin.
Slive the mozzarella into slices then cut those in half.
Have all the elements ready and in the fridge.
Can I make melon and parma ham salad in advance?
You can cut the melon (wedges or balls) and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
cut the mozzarella and make the dressing in advance but only assemble the salad just before serving as the watercress and arugula/rocket will wilt quickly.
What to serve this melon salad with
This salad works best served on its own and makes a delicious starter.
You could serve this part of an Italian mezze table with a few other cold meats and vegetables.
A few easy salad recipes:
The honey and Dijon mustard vinaigrette is one of my favourite salad dressings and I put together a video of how to make it:
Melon, mozzarella & parma ham salad
- 1 small winter melon or spanspek halved cantaloupe or honeydew
- 2 x 125gm balls of fresh mozzarella
- 1 packet of rocket leaves – about 3 handfuls
- 1 small packet of watercress – about 2 handfuls
- 120 gms Parma ham or other Italian cured ham
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 20 ml honey
- 1 heaped teaspoon of mustard
- salt and pepper
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together until emulsified. Either shake in a jar or use a small whisk.
- Slice wedges out of half the melon removing the skin. Scoop balls out the second melon and set it aside.
- Slice the mozzarella.
- When you are ready to serve, assemble the salad by scattering the rocket and watercress across the bottom of a large serving dish. Place the melon slices and balls across the surface. Arrange the slices of mozzarella between the melon. Tuck the thin slices of ham in between.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.