45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

by Sam on June 18, 2013

45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

First up, I must mention that I’m not a big fan off cooking in a microwave. Sure its excellent to reheat and defrost stuff, but to cook in, its a no for me. Baking even a bigger a no.

(Apart from my life-changing 30 second ‘poached’ eggs – that is).

However, having said this, I had seen on Masterchef Australia (season 3) that a NYC pastry chef used a microwave to ‘bake’ up a few cakes that he then used in a very elaborate looking dessert. Then, I had also been shown a similar technique by a top local chef who makes a green tea sponge in a paper cup, in a microwave, so I knew I needed to have an open mind here. When a foodie friend of mine was telling me about this recipe he discovered, and how easy and awesome it was, I immediately had to give it a try.

The source recipe includes salted caramel toffees in the pudding – which I also tried – but I preferred the taste and texture of the ready made caramel. You can choose what you prefer.

On the caramel front, If I had my delectable salted caramel on hand I would have used this, but you can turn ready made caramel treat into salted caramel by simply stirring in a pinch of sea salt flakes. I found two teaspoons of caramel better than one. Furthermore, you can also add a light scattering of salt over the finished pudding.

The optimal time to cook this was 45 seconds each, and for the best results, it is better to cook them separately. I tried doing them together, but found one cooked more than the other.

Oh, and I found very lightly whipped cream essential to serve with this pudding. Vanilla ice cream would also be delicious, adding another textural element.

45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

• 1/4t salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3T milk
  • 1T sunflower oil
  • 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 - 1t good quality instant coffee granules
  • 2 - 4t ready made caramel like caramel treat, or dulce de leche with a pinch of salt
  • fresh cream or ice-cream to serve (optional)

Instructions

1. Dissolve the coffee granules in the milk, and then add all the ingredients except the caramel and pinch of salt, and mix them together in a bowl by hand until well combined.
  2. Divide the mixture evenly between 2 small bowls, teacups, or ramekins.
  3. Drop 1 - 2 teaspoons of caramel into the middle of each pudding - it will settle down towards the bottom of each.
  4. Microwave each individually on full power for 45 seconds. At this stage the pudding will be firm but still a bit gooey in the middle. If it is too under cooked or too gooey (all microwaves are different), simply microwave for a few more seconds until you are happy with the degree of firmness.

I was pretty blown away at how quick, easy and delicious these hot chocolate puddings are. Perfect for a winter indulgence, and easy enough for kids to make.

*PS – thank you Laurence for finding this recipe, convincing me it was awesome, helping me improve it, and generally being a great foodie buddy.

45 second chocolate pudding with salted caramel

Laura (Tutti Dolci) June 18, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I can’t believe I’m only 45 seconds away from this delectable treat! Stunning!

Cristina June 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

What a beautiful dessert indulgence and love how quick it is to enjoy!

Sam June 18, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Hey Laura, its quite insane to imagine. Id love to get your opinion on this if you ever make it. Its worth just doing to see how it turns out.

Sam June 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Cristina. Its also a little dangerous because when you know it takes about 5 minutes from start to deliciousness, it is so easy to do.

Laurence June 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm

You’ve shot it beautifully

Sam June 18, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Larry, this is all because of you :-)

Usha June 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Looks divine & really wish I had some now——I can’t believe am sick again….l

Aninas Recipes June 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

Wow, having a kind of a “new age – y” hubby, (he even defrosts meats by “thawing it naturally”) our microwave are literally a white elephant. But boy – even he would be blown away by how easy and delicious this looks. A must try!

Leanne June 19, 2013 at 9:34 am

I tried this last night…was truly awesome! Very quick and v easy…definitely storing this away as a dinner party secret recipe! *yum*

Sam June 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Oh wow that was quick Leanne – and defs worth of a dinner party :-)

Sam June 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Sorry to hear you are sick Usha, this is the perfect thing for you right now. Feel better xx

Diane June 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am actually drooling here and off to pick up the ingredients I need to do this tonight ;) Thanks

Lori June 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

YES! How beautifully easy is this?! And totally decadent with the caramel…

Anne June 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe. Sounds so divine and easy. I know you said you don’t like
baked items in a microwave but I make the most delicious and moist chocolate cake in the
microwave and have for years and always receive wow comments!

Sam June 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Hi Anne, it is all new territory for me, but I have every intentions of exploring this further. Would LOVE the recipe. :-)

Sam June 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thanks Lori, you just have to make it to see how much ‘restaurant quality’ it is. This could totally fly at a dinner party and wow the guests.

Jeanne @ Cooksister June 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

OMG…! I have been put off microwave baking after being persuaded to try several friends’ microwave chocolate cakes in coffee mugs which I found to be universally awful… but this is a whole other level of awesome. Definitely going to give this a go (and I have the same teaspoon as the one in the caramel bowl – my mom had that entire set!)

Linda June 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hi, I’d like to make this and have a question. What is a caramel like caramel treat? The individuals caramels wrapped in cellophane and then melted? Could a homemade caramel sauce be used? Thanks much!
Linda

Sam June 19, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Wow Jeanne, I inherited the whole brass and rosewood cutlery set from my mom too and use it as my everyday cutlery. Maybe they bought it at the same place. I think by adding caramel (I like 2 teaspoons) and not over cooking in the micro, the recipe delivers a very soft pudding-like consistency. I really think its of a restaurant level. :-)

Sam June 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hi Linda, in South Africa caramel treat is simply condensed milk that has been boiled in a tin. If you can’t buy it, you could either boil a tin until it becomes caramel (I think around 1.5hours), or use any ready made caramel like dulce de lece. You can see quite clearly from the last picture what the caramel looks like. Or you can drop caramel sweets into the pudding as I mentioned in the post.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence June 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I have yet to try making a microwave cake. This one looks really tasty. Especially that bowl of caramel!! I could just dive right in.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs June 20, 2013 at 12:30 am

I’m in love microwave desserts, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one as good-looking as yours. Oh my, this looks absolutely delish and decadent, it doesn’t look as if it was made in a microwave. So stunning! xx

Sam June 20, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thanks Consuelo, I hope you make it and enjoy :-)

Flee June 21, 2013 at 11:08 am

Oh My Greatness Sam… I could just plant my face into that bowl of caramel… MMM, will need to try this some time… Hopefully the Man doesn’t like it… :-) lol… More for meeeeee

Sam June 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi Flee, just so easy, also quite rich, you will want to share xx

Zirkie June 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I love this, quick and easy…. and delicious!! The brown crockery looks great!

Colleen June 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

This is something that I have made quite a lot of times when I am desperate for something chocolatey and sweet. Instant gratification. I always have it with ice cream. I adore the hot and cold sensation in my mouth. I have made mine with Rolo’s or a block of chocolate dropped into it :) Must try the salted caramel. xx

Anel June 25, 2013 at 8:05 am

Aah, I will have to try this, seeing that I am without stove (gasp) at the moment. The only problem is that, living alone, I will have to eat both portions. Oh, and finish the caramel treat all by myself. Poor me. ;)

Sam June 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

HI Anel, what you could do is keep the one in the fridge for later use :-)

Jennifer July 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Oh wow! Chocolate and caramel in one! Yum Yum Yum!!! And, all of the ingredients are in my pantry cupboard so I can try this tonight. Except for the caramel. Have you tried it without that?

Sam July 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hi Jennifer, I made a hot cross bun pudding that didn’t use caramel – check it out here: http://drizzleanddip.com/2013/03/27/hot-cross-bun-pudding-with-chocolate-and-orange – and Google a bit and adapt. I love the caramel flavour, but am sure it will be equally as nice without.

Angelo September 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Hi there,

Is there a microwave free recipe for the health conscious?

Thanks,
Angelo

Sam September 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi Angelo, Im afraid this is a specific microwave formula, I don’t have a recipe for regular baking for it.

Angelo September 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thanks.

emma October 7, 2013 at 8:04 am

is the ‘T’ teaspoons or tablespoons?

Sam October 7, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi Emma – Yes T = Tablespoon and t = teaspoon.
best

Ash-foodfashionparty October 11, 2013 at 5:14 am

I just tried this and let me tell you, this was the best 45 second trick . All I added different was a tbsp of brewed expresso. My ghosh….I’ve tried so many mug cake recipes, this is by far the best. Love love it. Thank s for a great recipe. Just pinned it.

Sam October 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

So glad you enjoyed it :-)

Kate November 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Can I add more cocoa powder instead of coffee granules if I’m making it for someone allergic to coffee? Can’t wait to try it!

Sam November 11, 2013 at 6:17 am

Hi Kate – just leave the coffee out, no need to add additional cocoa. It will work out fine, its just there for flavor.