easy pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

These pumpkin and parmesan scones are quick and easy to whip up and are perfect to serve as a savoury component for tea or brunch.

I had not planned to jump on the pumpkin-recipe bandwagon that seems to have taken the internet by storm, and Pinterest is awash with orange at the moment, almost irritatingly so.  I look in amazement as people come up with interesting and weird ways to cook and bake with pumpkin. Halloween in not a big deal in South Africa, and has only been adopted as a celebration in recent years, so the pumpkin holiday is not part of my culture. We are also moving into Summer, leaving the hearty and comforting food behind to embrace stone fruit and salads, while everything pumpkin is just perfect for the Northern Hemisphere right now.

As it turned out, I needed to do one last blog post before I head of to London tomorrow, and I wanted to bake something for my third Sasko Flour commissioned recipe. I had two small butternut that would not last until I got back and I happened to have a lot of Parmesan, so decided these scones would be fabulous.

Butternut is part of the pumpkin patch – so you could use either as they are so similar, and thyme is my favourite herb to accompany it. It gives the scones a lovely earthy flavour.

I also decided to make a whipped goats cheese spread to slather on the warm scones as they came out the oven. Butter is always fantastic, but the goats cheese whipped into a smooth and fluffy texture with cream cheese was delicious.

I have been baking with Sasko Self Raising Flour a lot recently and I’m loving the results. I always prefer to use self-raising flour when a recipe calls for it as I have a sense of confidence that the correct balance of raising agents are in the mix.

Baking is a science and there is a difference between baking powder and baking soda. Baking powder is a mix of baking soda (or bicarbonate of soda) and cream of tartar (derived from tartaric acid) and a corn starch, whereas bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), is just that. Baking soda needs an acid in the recipe in order to react and cause the rise. It gets quite technical, and its the reason why I enjoy baking with self-raising flour, all the raising agent issues are taken care of.

I hope you enjoy my recipe and the build up to Halloween (if you celebrate). I’m taking a much-needed week off to visit London, friends and immerse myself in all things food. I’m so thrilled to have won the Bill Granger blog challenge through my post on his Lime and coconut delicious, and although I have little down time planned (apart from the flight), I cant wait to report back here on all the exciting things I find. I will of course be updating my Instagram feed with loads of pics of my trip.

easy pumpkin and parmesan scones

• 1/2t black pepper
  • 2t fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1T buttermilk
  • 3T sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional) for the top
  • whipped goats cheese spread
  • 100g cream cheese
  • 100g goats cheese / chevin
  • 2T milk

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F)
  2. Steam the pumpkin in a metal basket or sieve over boiling water (lid on). Cook for 10 - 15 minutes until soft. set aside to cool and dry off in the air. Blend in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth.
  3. Mix the flour, Parmesan, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl.
  4. Add the buttermilk and pumpkin puree to the dry mixture and using a knife lightly mix it until it is just combined.
  5. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly to form a dough.
  6. Press the dough down to about 4-5cm and cut the scones using a 5 - 6cm cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with silicone or baking paper.
  7. Mix the egg yolk and extra buttermilk together and brush the tops of the scones.
  8. Sprinkle on the seeds, and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
  9. whipped goats cheese spread
  10. Put the cream cheese, goats cheese and milk in a bowl and whisk using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

*Disclaimer – This is the third recipe in a series I have made for Sasko using their flour. You can check out the first recipe for an easy herb, cheese and onion bread here, and the second, and apple cake with maple frosting here. You can also check out all the fun and recipe son the Sasko Facebook page.

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram

, , , , , , ,

41 Responses to easy pumpkin and parmesan scones with thyme

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) October 7, 2013 at 7:02 am #

I have a recipe for pumpkin biscuits that I love but I will have to try your scones next – love the parmesan and thyme!

2. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 7, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Pumpkin scones are the best! Love that shot with the slather of butter there. Amazing!

3. Lori October 7, 2013 at 8:13 am #

Beautiful colour!

4. Aninas Recipes October 7, 2013 at 8:20 am #

I love pumpkin ALL year round! This recipe looks amazing, like always! Enjoy your trip – you totes deserve it!

Love
    Anina

5. Sam October 7, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Chung – Ah 🙂

6. Sam October 7, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Hey Lolly pop, they were so bright yellow, almost artificially so xx

7. Sam October 7, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Thanks Anina – so excited about my trip – S xx

8. Ondina Maria October 7, 2013 at 10:48 am #

I love the color on these scones. They sound perfect for autumm 🙂

9. Euodia October 7, 2013 at 11:27 am #

You’re really talented 🙂 (guess you hear that a lot).

10. mary October 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Stunning pics….

11. usha singh October 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Oh Wow Sam, you know you never seize to amaze me with your creations and photography–and Voila–this is a recipe i can try–the egg is only used to brush the tops–well this does it–this is what i am baking for the weekend.
    Have a blast on your trip and just enjoy–

12. Ash-foodfashionparty October 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

I pinned this the moment it hit pinterest. Loving the idea and the pictures.

13. Laura Curtin October 8, 2013 at 5:01 am #

Yum, these look delicious! I have never made pumpkin scones before.. I will be giving these a go:)

14. Daisy October 9, 2013 at 2:03 am #

Wonder if one can use canned pumpkin puree.

15. Suné Moolman October 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

You had me at cream cheese! 🙂

16. Jeannaz October 10, 2013 at 7:18 am #

OMG this looks crazy tasty :O

17. Sam October 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Hi Daisy, I’m sure that canned pumpkin will work perfectly.

18. Sam October 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Hi Usha, thanks for the very kind words, yes just brush with a little buttermilk and perhaps add some of your amazing spice mixes x

19. Sam October 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks Euodia (I try) 🙂

20. anna @ annamayeveryday October 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

These look so good and such a fab colour too. Perfect for autumn!

21. Maria October 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

These look delicious. There has been so many Fall desert recipes that I really enjoy savory ones.
    I am pinning your recipe.
    Enjoy London,

Maria

22. colette October 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

these look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. anything with goat cheese had me at hello 🙂

23. Sam October 21, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Ha ha Colette – you and I are the same in that regard then 🙂

24. Sam October 21, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Thanks Maria – I hope you get to make them – they are so super easy and delis.

25. Donna at NothingChocolate October 22, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

These sound so unusual but definitely worth the taste. May give this one a whirl. Nice job and gorgeous photos!

26. Sam October 23, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Donna, they really are rather easy and delis

27. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence October 23, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

These look so deliciously flaky! I would love to have one with the whipped goat cheese 🙂 And maybe a drizzle of honey!

28. Sam October 24, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Oooo Brandon, yes to the honey drizzle 🙂

29. Céline October 27, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Hey
    They look amazing, i will make them.
    (My English is not good)
    I have some questions: what does T mean? Tabelspoon?
    and what does t mean? teaspoon?
    Thx
    How much is 21/2 Cups in gramm?

30. Céline October 27, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

How much buttermilk do I Need?
    1/2 Cup and 1T buttermilk?
    or just 1/2 Cup?

31. Céline October 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Oh sorry now I saw what i need to do with the buttermilk, sorry…

32. Sam October 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Hi Celine – yes T = tablespoon and t = teaspoon. I do not have the cup wait, sorry.

33. Ni November 13, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

I’m going to make these with pumpkin purée, but I’m trying to figure out how much I’ll need. Did you happen to measure how much your fresh pumpkin came out to be? Do you think I should use 2/3 cup, 3/4 cup or 1 full cup (U.S. measurement)? Thanks!

1. 10 Great Pumpkin Recipes | Pet Care Around the Web - October 23, 2013

[…] Country Living  //  8. Heirloom Squash and Pumpkin Pie, Martha Stewart  //  9. Pumpkin and Parmesan Scones with Thyme, Drizzle & Dip  //  10. Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Sage, Life Tastes Like […]

2. { fall at home } | sandinmysuit - November 5, 2013

[…] want to whip up batches of these scones + drop them off at my favorite local […]

3. THANKSGIVING RECIPES | BREADS + ROLLS | Atelier Christine - November 13, 2013

[…] & Condensed Milk Rolls, via Cristina Lorenzo | Pumpkin & Parmesan Scones via Samantha […]

4. Easy butternut scones with cheese and chives | Drizzle and Dip - October 13, 2014

[…] Despite us heading towards summer in South Africa, I felt like making a version of my very popular easy pumpkin scones with Parmesan and thyme from last year. I wanted to use butternut which is more of a staple than pumpkin here, and mix up […]

5. 32 Pumpkin Recipes - November 14, 2014

[…] Pie Martini 25. Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 26. Mini Pie Slice Cookies 27. Marshmallows 28. Mug Cake 29. Pumpkin Scones 30. Mac n Cheese 31. Pumpkin Pie Almonds 32. Pumpkin […]

6. Dyniowe scones z parmezanem i tymiankiem… | brunetkawkuchni - November 21, 2015

[…] *przepis st?d […]

7. How to make butternut scones with cheese and herbs {video} | Drizzle and Dip - April 20, 2016

[…] good not to share more than once? Well this is one of those recipes. I have made these scones using pumpkin, Parmesan and thyme, and a version with butternut and chives and they were both fabulous. I love them so much I […]

8. Roasted Pumpkin with Goat Cheese, Thyme and Sage – Vintage Kitchen - May 11, 2016

[…] Mushroom and Goat Cheese Galette from Blogging over Thyme Pumpkin Pickles from My Edible Journey Pumpkin and Parmesan Scones with Thyme from Drizzle and […]