I did a variation of my favourite lettuce tacos with chipotle chicken and knocked up a delicious spicy grilled pineapple salsa to go with them. So easy, so delicious and really quite a lot healthier than tacos with a tortilla. Also way more crunchy.
Grilling pineapple changes its flavour, and the caramelisation of the sugars takes the acidic edge off. I find it mellows it out. I like a bit of chilli in my salsa, so despite the chicken having chipotle, I wanted more. As with all things heat-related, just moderate it according to your preference or leave it out entirely.
This is a wonderful sharing meal. Put all the elements on a table and let people scoop the chicken and salsa onto their own lettuce leaves. I like to use gem lettuce, they make the perfect boat shape to fill and don’t tear too easily. Use baby gems if you want to serve these as a starter or a tapas.
To get the recipe to make the chicken and chipotle part, click here.
This salsa can be made in advance or the day before.Print
Lettuce tacos with chipotle chicken and grilled pineapple salsa
- 1 pineapple, sliced lengthways
- 2 red peppers, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1–2 pickled jalapeño, very finely chopped (optional)
- extra lime wedges for serving
- Heat and griddle pan until very hot.
- Slice the pineapple lengthways into thick slices around the core. Discard the core.
- Grill the slices on both sides until they start turning a golden brown. Set aside to cool. Chop into small dice and add then to a bowl with all the other ingredients. Season.
- Spritz with extra lime wedges as desired.
Keywords: chicken, lettuce tacos, salsa, recipe
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page to get updates of all my posts.