I did a variation of my favourite lettuce tacos with chipotle chicken and knocked up a delicious spicy grilled pineapple salsa to go with them. So easy, so delicious and really quite a lot healthier than tacos with a tortilla. Also way more crunchy.
Grilling pineapple changes its flavour, and the caramelisation of the sugars takes the acidic edge off. I find it mellows it out. I like a bit of chilli in my salsa, so despite the chicken having chipotle, I wanted more. As with all things heat related, just moderate it according to your preference or leave it out entirely.
This is a wonderful sharing meal. Put all the elements on a table and let people scoop the chicken and salsa onto their own lettuce leaves. I like to use gem lettuce, they make the perfect boat shape to fill and don’t tear too easily. Use baby gems if you want to serve these as a starter or a tapas.
To get the recipe to make the chicken and chipotle part, click here.
This salsa can be made in advance or the day before.
- 1 pineapple, sliced lengthways
- 2 red peppers, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 pickled jalapeño, very finely chopped (optional)
- extra lime wedges for serving
- Heat and griddle pan until very hot.
- Slice the pineapple lengthways into thick slices around the core. Discard the core.
- Grill the slices on both sides until they start turning a golden brown. Set aside to cool. Chop into small dice and add then to a bowl with all the other ingredients. Season.
- Spritz with extra lime wedges as desired.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page to get updates of all my posts.