Slowly braised leeks and sharp mature Cheddar are a fantastic combination of flavours. Toasted to melted perfection on sourdough bread makes an utterly delicious and unusual toasted sandwich. I present my toasted cheddar cheese sandwich with buttery leeks.
I set about developing this recipe soon using my Breville non-stick frying pan, which can be set to low, allowing the leeks to cook slowly in the butter until they become melt-in-the-mouth delicious. I like to use white pepper instead of black – freshly ground. The flavour is more floral, and in my opinion, better suited here. I also sliced the leeks using my Breville Wizz Proof course. Now that I have all these amazing appliances, I’m making full use of their ability to fast track my cooking operation. The leeks can be made in advance.
I used a nice sharp aged Cheddar for this recipe. I think you need a minimum of 6 months age, but 12 months is even better. Don’t skimp on the quantity either. You want your toasted sandwich to be oozing with all the melted cheese and buttery leeks.
Sourdough bread is my choice for this toasted cheese sandwich, although any bread will be awesome. I cut the slices quite thick because while they toast they press down to flatten a little. I find it easier to brush melted butter lightly over the outside slices vs. spreading. This way you get an even coat and use a little less.
I used the Breville Healthsmart Grill to make these incredible toasties.Print
Toasted cheddar cheese sandwich with buttery leeks
A recipe for a delicious toasted Cheddar cheese sandwich with buttery braised leeks.
- 30g butter, plus extra to butter the bread
- 3 cups finely sliced and cleaned leeks (white and pale green parts)
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread, fairly thickly cut
- 150g 12 month mature Cheddar, grated
- Heat the Breville electric frying pan and melt the butter. Sauté the leeks for 5 – 7 minutes on setting 4 – 6. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper, then turn off and allow to cool.
- Heat the Breville Healthsmart Grill on the sandwich setting.
- Divide the braised leeks and cheese between the four slices of bread and spread to fill each evenly. Top with the second slice of bread.
- Lightly butter each of the out side slices of the sandwich *tip – melt the butter and then bush this on to make it easier.
- When the Grill is ready, place the buttered sandwiches on, close and toast until golden brown.
Keywords: topasted, cheedar, cheese, sandwhich, buttery leeks, sourdough, grilled cheese, toastie
*This post has been sponsored by Breville. I’ve been working on a project that involves developing recipes using these amazing appliances.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.