shortbread biscuit balls with chocolate middles

by Sam on June 26, 2012

shortbread biscuit balls with chocolate

Delicious, scrumptious and highly addictive little shortbread butter biscuits with chocolate in the middle.

I have had this recipe on my ‘to-bake’ list for over a year and since I first tasted them at my friend Peter Church’s book launch. He is the author of two books. The first is  ‘Dark Video‘, the second ‘A Bitter pill’ – both edgy thrillers set in and around Cape Town, and worth a read if you haven’t already.

You find the best recipes in the most interesting places.

After biting into these soft and crumbly shortbread biscuits and then experiencing the unexpected joy if finding a lump of chocolate in the middle, I was sent directly to food heaven.

I hunted the recipe down. I took a photo of the recipe. I lost the photo of the recipe. I had to hunt it down again.

The recipe came from one Peter’s children’s school cookbooks. The ones where various parents contribute their favourite recipe. You know the ones? I totally love these books because people always put their best tried-and-tested recipes forward.

The recipe is short and the instructions easy, so Peter was able to tweet them to me.

I used some Cadburys milk chocolate  and some Valrhona Guanja which gives these biscuits a more sophisticated taste. Use whatever chocolate you prefer.

What you will need to make a batch of these delectable buttery balls:

• 210g butter
  • 4t caster sugar (and extra for dusting)
  • 1t boiling water
  • 250g flour
  • 200g slab of chocolate cut into half blocks

Pre heat the oven to 180 C. Mix the butter, sugar and water until combined. Add the flour and mix. Wrap some of the dough mixture around each half block of chocolate. This is a fairly tricky task and would be helpful if you got others to help.

Bake on a lined baking tray for 20 minutes. They don’t need to go too golden. Roll in caster sugar and allow to cool.

Seriously these are THE most awesome biscuits and that is all I am going to say about that.

shortbread biscuit balls with chocolate

Emma June 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My grandmother made these once when I was little and I’ve always remembered them and wanted more, but never could find a recipe…till now! Definitely making them tonight. Thank you!!!

Sam June 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Pleasure Emma – they are addictive – be warned.

Victoria June 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

YUM. What a lovely, easy recipe. Definitely baking these soon.
Perhaps a run first.

Sam June 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Ha ha Victoria – defs a run before :-)

Flee June 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Oh Wow thank you… Looks Amazing… Will need to try… BTW the man is contemplating banning me from your blog… ;-( lol…

Sam June 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

Dear Flee’s man. Please don’t ban Flee from Drizzle and Dip.

Thank you!

Flee June 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks.. I hav e sent your request on to the “powers that be”… LOL… Have a stunning Friday and weekend :-)

Tami June 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

I can ill afford to add another addictive recipe to my collection and yet I have. Thank you for sharing Sam ;)

Lunette June 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

This is a keeper and one for the “hips”. In need of comfort food the weekend and going to try this one for sure :-) Thank you

Sam June 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Tami, you could wait a year like I did to make them :-)

Sam June 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Lunette – a total keeper.

Zirkie July 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Shortbread and chocolate!? What a delicious combination! I will be making this soon! Just one question: Is it 1 teaspoon water (5ml) and only 4 teaspoons (20ml) sugar?

Elri July 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

They look devine, defnitely making them TODAY!! Just one ?…is 1t water and 4t castor sugar teaspoon or tablespoon? Wanna be sure they are perfect…;)

Sam July 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

Hi Elri – yes its 1 tsp hot water and 4 t caster sugar (you add quite a lot when you roll them so they are sweet enough)

Keita Rieckhoff July 3, 2012 at 4:24 am

shortbread cookies AND chocolate?? YUM!! Thanks!

Sen July 3, 2012 at 4:33 am

Could I perhaps swap the hot water for milk instead? Thanks x

Sam July 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Hi Sen, I am sure the hot milk will work (why though) – as its such a small amount.

Louise July 4, 2012 at 5:51 am

oh my, I just have to make these! love shortbread. youve got a beautiful blog here, fantastic pictures! I’ve nominated you for the versatile blogger awards, as your blog continues to impress me. Must try out a few of these goddam gorgeous bites!

Sam July 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thank you Louise that is very kind of you :-). Let me know what you think of these cookies when you’ve made them.

Jessica December 10, 2012 at 12:18 am

Oh thank you for posting this recipe! I received some of these (store made) as a gift and found them to be so delightful. I’m definitely making some homemade ones in the near future. It really is such an “unexpected joy” to find that lump of chocolate in the middle of the cookie!

Sam December 10, 2012 at 6:06 am

Hi Jessica, it really is isn’t it, I totally love these biscuits.

Kim November 19, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi Sam. Sorry to get technical, but when you say “mix” do you mean hand mix with a spoon / whisk or can the mixing be done in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment? Also, I presume that the butter must be pretty soft? These look so divine that I have to try and make them this weekend! I think they will be the perfect Christmas nibbles to have on holiday with us. Thanks. Kim

Sam November 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Hi Kim, you can just mix this using a wooden spoon by hand (or any spoon you prefer) – it is not necessary to use a stand mixer. These are like shortbread. You could use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment if you prefer. Butter is at room temp so it will be soft enough to work with, not melted soft. I always bake with butter at room temp.

CAROL RODRGUEX December 13, 2013 at 8:01 am

WHERE ARE THE INGEDIENTS AND METOD? I DOUBLE CLICKED AND…NOTHING….Am I doing something \\rong???

Sam December 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi carol, Im really not sure what you are on about, the ingredients are listed as is the method? What do you mean double click? If you want to print this recipe, simply copy and past it int a word document and print it.
Thanks
sam

Tania January 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

Hi Sam,

I have been eyeing these little cookies for a while. So I decided to make them for my children’s pre-school teachers to say thank you for what they have done through the year. And what an amasement. They are super fast to make and super-super yummy to eat. There were 5 teachers, so the majority went to them, but I managed so sample a few. Soooo addictive. Thanks for the great work you do. Just a note to me, next time I will rather use 1 teaspoon of water instead of tablespoon. Were not too sure which one it should have been, but still they were awesome.

Sam January 12, 2014 at 5:47 pm

HI Tania, glad you enjoyed. yes the recipe is 1 teaspoon (little t). T = tablespoon in my recipes.