This Air fryer roast chicken is made extra delicious with the addition of ClemenGold ™ (clementines), garlic, and ginger. The chicken only takes an hour to roast and is so juicy.
I have been obsessed with my Vortex Air Fryer since I got it last year, and it has a permanent place in my kitchen. I use it all the time. Oven-roasted vegetables are a breeze in this appliance and I land up eating so many more because of it.
When Instantpot asked me to produce a roast chicken recipe for their new Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer, I knew I wanted to do my roast chicken with orange and ginger recipe. I simply replaced the orange with Clemengold, a wonderful South African clementine that is in season now and very sweet & juicy.
By removing the tray from the basket you free up space and allow the chicken to roast in the amazing stock. A whole bird fits easily in my regular-sized Vortex Airfryer as it has a large basket, but for the Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer, a smaller chicken (around 1.2kg) is best.
The only thing I have wanted since I got my air fryer was another one. For when you want to cook more than one thing at the same time requiring different temperatures or settings. Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer is your answer to that. You load each basket with the different food, set the timings then press sync finish. The food will finish at the same time.
As a slight control freak, I love the see-through panels on the baskets. At a touch of a button, you can see inside.
Roasting chicken in a flavour-packed stock is my preferred way of doing things and my roast chicken with white wine, herbs, and garlic is a favourite. Now that I can cook this method in my air fryer, this will be my go-to for easy weeknight suppers.
What is roast chicken without roast potatoes? For this recipe, I have added smoked paprika. The earthy flavour pairs so well with citrus.
How to roast potatoes in an air fryer?
First, toss your potatoes in olive oil to coat, and then add your seasoning. You could use just salt and pepper or add things like herbs, garlic powder, or other spices. For this recipe, I have used garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
You can roast any potato in an air fryer so choose your favourite variety of roasting potato or new potato. Here I have used medium Mediterranean potatoes which I cut in half or thirds.
The smaller the potato the quicker it will cook. If you are using halved new potatoes, you will need to adjust the cooking time to 20 minutes.
Shop Instant Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer:
My other popular chicken recipes:
This recipe will feed 2 – 3 people generously.
Air Fryer roast chicken
- 1 small free-range chicken up to 1.3 – 1.5kg
- Zest of 1 ClemenGold Clementine or orange
- 200 ml of freshly squeezed ClemenGold clementine juice +-4 (or orange)
- 200 ml strong chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 cm piece of ginger finely grated
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
Roast potatoes with smoked paprika:
- 8 medium/small potatoes – aprox 700gms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
To make the roast chicken:
- Add the zest, and juice of the clementine to a small jug with the chicken stock, garlic, and ginger.
- Remove the drip tray from the air fryer basket and place the whole bird inside. Pour over the liquid and scatter the thyme stalks around.
- Set the Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer to ‘Roast’ at 180C/350F for 1 hour.
- Start with roasting the chicken with the breast facing up for 20 minutes. Then flip it so the underside faces up and browns (another 20 minutes), then turn it back to face up for the final 20 minutes. This way the chicken browns on all sides and doesn’t overcook on one. You will be turning the chicken over twice during the hour cooking process.
- Once cooked, remove, and set aside. Strain the pan juices and serve this as a delicious jus (light gravy) along with the chicken and roast potatoes.
To make the roast potatoes:
- Slice the potatoes in half and add the olive oil and spices. Toss well to coat evenly. Tip this into the air fryer basket.
- Set the Vortex ClearCook Dual Air fryer to ‘Air Fry’ at 190C/374F for 30 minutes.
- Push the Sync Cook button and this new feature will ensure both the roast chicken and roast potatoes finish cooking at the same time! It’s all about setting it and forgetting it. It does not matter that the food is pre-loaded. Just add the food once the air fryer has run its pre-heat cycle and reaches temp (it will prompt you!)
*This post is sponsored by Instant Vortex ClearCook Dual Air Fryer